My two Keith Young Dulcimers

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,248 posts

And speaking of using up small pieces of wood- Years ago when I ordered my limberjack "Clyde" from Keith, he told me he used up the leftover bits of dulcimer wood to make his limberjacks, mostly walnut pieces. He said that was why they danced so well- they were imbued with dulcimer wood spirit.

I have at least 10 different limberjacks- both new and old, but the two Keith ones are always the best dancers!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

Me, too, Dave. Those "imperfections" can give an instrument real character.

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
12 years ago
60 posts

Yeah I really likeit too. Thereis a localdulcimer maker that makes his dulcimer so that thereare no imperfections in the wood, in fact he brags about it. Nice dulcimers butbecause of the type of wood he uses you can't tell one of his dulcimer from another. I really enjoy seeing the wood patterns and "imperfections" in everyones dulcimers.

Robin Thompson said:

Thanks for sharing the photos of the treasures Keith made for you, Dave! That wormy chestnut is so cool. . .

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
12 years ago
1,415 posts

Thanks for sharing the photos of the treasures Keith made for you, Dave! That wormy chestnut is so cool. . .

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
12 years ago
60 posts

Might as well add the photo of my Keith Young limberjack too. I've seen a lot of very well done limberjacks that have been painted and/or dressed up. I've always been afraid to mess it up. Do need to find a little dulcimer for him...

290_forums.jpg?width=721

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
12 years ago
2,248 posts

David, they are just lovely. I too have Keith's limberjacks- I absolutely adore them!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
12 years ago
60 posts

I was saddened tolearn about Keiths passing on the 9tha little while ago.

Here's my Keith Young dulcimers (I should have had my Keith Young limberjack added to the photo as well). On the full size dulcimer: Walnut side/bottom, wormy chestnut top

287_forums.jpg 288_forums.jpg 289_forums.jpg

updated by @david-bennett: 02/25/19 05:24:05AM