Clifford Glenn Dulcimer photos

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
10 years ago
60 posts

Thanks for the tips Geoff. You are right it is the base string. I don't remember what I put on it but I'll check your tips out tonight.

Many thanks

David

Geoff Black said:

Hi David

No-one should suffer slipping pegs, particularly on a Glenn where they are normally well fitted and effective.

A few tips with apologies if they are self-evident.

1. I imagine this is the bass string. If so check your gauge first. It needs to be no more than 0.024w, but this should hold easily at D.
  2. Always wind the strings on carefully. Strings naturally try to pull the pegs out, unless they are the middle string which pulls straight. Ensure the last two coils are tight against their respective sides of the headstock, so that the pull is as straight as possible.
  3. You can put too much dope on. Peg treatments try to do two opposite things - make the peg turn smoothly and ensure it holds firm. Too much or too little drives it to do one or the other exclusively! Either take some dope off using very fine steel wool or simply dust lightly with some chalk to help grip - yes, I know it sounds crude but it works!

Best of luck with it. Should be fine and, with the Glenn sound, should give great enjoyment.

Geoff

Geoff Black
Geoff Black
@geoff-black
10 years ago
25 posts

Hi David

No-one should suffer slipping pegs, particularly on a Glenn where they are normally well fitted and effective.

A few tips with apologies if they are self-evident.

1. I imagine this is the bass string. If so check your gauge first. It needs to be no more than 0.024w, but this should hold easily at D.
  2. Always wind the strings on carefully. Strings naturally try to pull the pegs out, unless they are the middle string which pulls straight. Ensure the last two coils are tight against their respective sides of the headstock, so that the pull is as straight as possible.
  3. You can put too much dope on. Peg treatments try to do two opposite things - make the peg turn smoothly and ensure it holds firm. Too much or too little drives it to do one or the other exclusively! Either take some dope off using very fine steel wool or simply dust lightly with some chalk to help grip - yes, I know it sounds crude but it works!

Best of luck with it. Should be fine and, with the Glenn sound, should give great enjoyment.

Geoff

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
10 years ago
60 posts

Geoff, the only problem I have is tuning it. Grin.gif Two of the pegs are not too bad but one of them when you get it tuned and bump it or touch it it jumps back again. I've used peg drops like Strumlelia recommended and it helps except for that one peg. I've tuned it down to CGG as DAA was too hard to tune and keep tuned. I use it when I want to play songs in DAA

Geoff Black said:

Hi David

Only just spotted this on an internet search, although I'm on FOTMD often. You may now have answers to your questions, if not the following may help.

Lovely instrument from a middle phase of the Glenn's dulcimer making. It has no flare on the headstock for the strings to run outwards over the nut; shallow sides (1 3/8" or so); and a single nickel screw to act as the string anchor - yes it's original!. Earlier ones had a thinner tailpiece through which the strings pass at the bridge end. Later ones are deeper with flared headstock and brass screw. I have a 1974 which is very similar to this - and a few other earlier and later models.

Strings MAY be original - difficult to say. I've had 0.010, 0.010, 0.018w and 0.011, 0.011, 0.021w on mine when I got them - they seem a little lighter than my expectation. I would normally use 0.012 and 0.022w or even 0.024w for DAA with this scale length. What size were yours (if you can remember)?

Woods: you're right with sides and back, but I can't identify the top either. In fact, I struggle with many of the six I own. Most are hardwood, as this appears to be (one cedar), but all different and none obvious!

Are you playing it? If so, what kind of music? Any issues with it to date? - looks very original and in excellent condition. Feel free to ask any questions. Anyway, congratulations on a good purchase. Hope you enjoy.

Geoff Black

Revels Music

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
10 years ago
2,248 posts

That is a real beauty! Looks all original and mint condition to me- I wouldn't change a thing except to put fresh strings. But also worth writing down the gauge of the strings on it first, or save them in a little labeled bag...as they look like they might well be the original strings put on by Mr. Glenn. It's a lovely gem and so nice that it hasn't been tampered with, after all these years.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Geoff Black
Geoff Black
@geoff-black
10 years ago
25 posts

Hi David

Only just spotted this on an internet search, although I'm on FOTMD often. You may now have answers to your questions, if not the following may help.

Lovely instrument from a middle phase of the Glenn's dulcimer making. It has no flare on the headstock for the strings to run outwards over the nut; shallow sides (1 3/8" or so); and a single nickel screw to act as the string anchor - yes it's original!. Earlier ones had a thinner tailpiece through which the strings pass at the bridge end. Later ones are deeper with flared headstock and brass screw. I have a 1974 which is very similar to this - and a few other earlier and later models.

Strings MAY be original - difficult to say. I've had 0.010, 0.010, 0.018w and 0.011, 0.011, 0.021w on mine when I got them - they seem a little lighter than my expectation. I would normally use 0.012 and 0.022w or even 0.024w for DAA with this scale length. What size were yours (if you can remember)?

Woods: you're right with sides and back, but I can't identify the top either. In fact, I struggle with many of the six I own. Most are hardwood, as this appears to be (one cedar), but all different and none obvious!

Are you playing it? If so, what kind of music? Any issues with it to date? - looks very original and in excellent condition. Feel free to ask any questions. Anyway, congratulations on a good purchase. Hope you enjoy.

Geoff Black

Revels Music

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
11 years ago
422 posts

Pretty! Next must come the sound file so we all can drool over its sound as well as its beauty.

David Bennett
David Bennett
@david-bennett
11 years ago
60 posts

Yesterday I bought a Clifford Glenn dulcimer from a friend who picked it up at a local local auction. It has a little wear and I believe some water spots that I have not tried too hard yet to run out (if possible). The strings are corroded and who knows may be original(?).

One thing I don't if it's original is the screw on the tail when the three strings loop on. Anyone know?

Also trying to figure out what the wood is. The sides and bottom look like walnut to me and I have no idea about the top.

419_forums.jpg?width=750

?width=750

421_forums.jpg?width=750

422_forums.jpg?width=750

423_forums.jpg?width=750

424_forums.jpg?width=750

425_forums.jpg?width=750

426_forums.jpg?width=750

427_forums.jpg?width=750

428_forums.jpg?width=750

429_forums.jpg?width=750

updated by @david-bennett: 06/11/15 07:36:32AM