John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 months ago
288 posts

I've met Tom Fellenbaum several times over the years, and I know that he build excellent instruments.  I bought one of his bowed psalteries years ago, and it was wonderful in craftsmanship and in sound.  I don't know what he's up to now.

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 months ago
172 posts

If my information is correct Fellenbaum is a builder in Black Mountain NC. He has slowed down on building dulcimers to keep in stock, but does build to order. His dulcimers are well crafted and typically have a bit wider and deeper body. There is no standard for dulcimer dimensions and builders have their own preferences. Like Ken said, tone is influenced by volume of the sound box.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 months ago
1,883 posts

The woods the instrument are made from won't make any discernable difference in the pitch of the sound.  The overall body dimensions (internal cubic inches) do.  How big is the body compared to your other "low tone" instruments?  

I haven't heard of Fellenbaum dulcimers ina quite some time.  My memory of them is that he builds a fairly deep/wide dulcimer for a 26-27" VSL.

updated by @ken-hulme: 12/01/21 07:01:45AM
Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
2 months ago
46 posts

Is anybody familiar with the sound of Fellenbaum dulcimers? This particular dulcimer has a spruce soundboard and sapele back and sides. I like dulcimers with a low tone.