Does a 2001 McSpadden Ginger have a 'solid' soundboard?

Banjimer
Banjimer
@greg-gunner
2 years ago
141 posts

When the McSpadden's owned and operated McSpadden Dulcimers, the solid soundboard was offered as an option.  When Jim Woods purchased McSpadden Dulcimers the solid soundboard became a standard feature on all their dulcimers.  I don't know the exact dates, but there would be two dates: 

Date One - McSpaddens offered the solid soundboard option for the first time.

Date Two - Jim Woods made the solid soundboard a standard feature of all McSpadden dulcimers.

Jim Woods purchased McSpadden dulcimers in 2001, so the switch to the solid soundboard on all instruments would have occurred sometime around 2001-2002.

updated by @greg-gunner: 08/11/22 01:21:18PM
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,124 posts

I think Richard is right about the date for the switch to solid wood.  If not, I just don't see that a laminated soundboard would make any difference in sound on any instrument, let alone one as small as a Ginger.  

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 years ago
234 posts

If my memory is correct it was in about 1996 that McSpadden switched from laminated soundboard to solid wood. So the 2001 Ginger I would think would be solid wood. Others will chime in I am sure.

Corvus
Corvus
@corvus
2 years ago
18 posts

I've heard that earlier model McSpadden dulcimers have a laminated soundboard, and that later on McSpadden dulcimers were built with solid soundboards.

Does anyone know if a 2001 McSpadden Ginger dulcimer would have a solid soundboard or a laminated soundboard?