Idle time. What to do.

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts

I have several things I want to work on, but one in particular. Learn more songs with the dulcimer and harmonica played together. The good folks seem to love this combo, but I’ve been lazy and neglectful. Also, finally take the time to memorize all the verses on Wildwood Flower. What a beautiful song it is,  High time I add some words with it.

updated by @terry-wilson: 03/14/20 08:18:42PM
Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
@dusty-turtle. Guess it's time for us all to work on our "High Lonesome" sound.
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Now that we're all likely to be staying at home more than usual, I think musicians will have an easier time than most.  At least we have a hobby that you can do by yourself and from which we derive immense pleasure.

Supposedly Robert Johnson was a lousy guitarist and was forced out of a bar where he was performing.  He returned six months or a year later the best guitarist anyone had ever heard.  The myth holds that he made a pact with the devil, selling his soul in exchange for his superior musicianship.  I think he just practiced scales and licks for a year. 

That's what I'm going to do. Practice my dulcimer, learn some new tunes, maybe develop some material to teach beginners, and I'll come out of this a better musician. A lonely musician, yes, but a better one.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts
Playing outside is fun, like a Farmer’s Market. That’s where a Roland Mobile Cube amp comes in real handy. Operates on batteries as well as plug-in, and can plug in mic and instrument

Opening day our FM cancelled. Little league games canceled too. Try explaining this bit of news to a 10 yr old. Church services for at least a month.

People are swarming to buy up toilet paper. Whoa...when I was a boy, long as we had a Sears catalog we were fine. Bottled water selling like crazy. I fine our well water to be as wet as the bottled stuff.
UserNo4
UserNo4
@userno4
4 years ago
30 posts

That's a good idea. I've already played outside once this year, but it's too cold (still) on most days to do that. 

marg
@marg
4 years ago
616 posts

I also play at a senior care facility and yes, the dulcimer group I am with will not be visiting to sometime in the future. Not only our practices but also all our performances and Festivals coming up are cancelled. 

I am disappointed but it is understandable

I thought I would play outside each evening, so my neighbors who are staying home would enjoy. Maybe many of us could fill the air with sweet sounds🎶

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts

UserNo4:

"Live streaming" is the same idea as live television broadcast, except it usually means using the internet rather than the airwaves to transmit the signal. It also includes watching on a computer or smartphone rather than a TV with rabbit ears. 

If you're interested in performing in front of a group, it would be a way for you to to that ... except you'd be performing in front of a camera, not (for lack of a better term) a studio audience.

Eh. I suppose it might be better than nothing. But I suspect it would be less satisfying. Then again, people record themselves while playing and then upload the video to YouTube, FOTMD, Facebook, and so forth.

I don’t reckon I’d ever do that.  But thanks for the info.  Now I know.  

updated by @terry-wilson: 03/13/20 09:34:48PM
UserNo4
UserNo4
@userno4
4 years ago
30 posts

"Live streaming" is the same idea as live television broadcast, except it usually means using the internet rather than the airwaves to transmit the signal. It also includes watching on a computer or smartphone rather than a TV with rabbit ears. 

If you're interested in performing in front of a group, it would be a way for you to to that ... except you'd be performing in front of a camera, not (for lack of a better term) a studio audience.

Eh. I suppose it might be better than nothing. But I suspect it would be less satisfying. Then again, people record themselves while playing and then upload the video to YouTube, FOTMD, Facebook, and so forth.

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts
Susie:

I play at an Assisted Living Facility. I cancelled before I got word from them, because I just don't think any of us outsiders should be coming in there at this time. I have heard one the the Assisted Living Facilities in town isn't allowing visitors, I'm sure the one I play at and the others will follow suit. 

Be smart. Stay healthy.

Susie. You definitely were smart. And you stay healthy, too. I wish good health for everyone.
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts
Lois Sprengnether Keel:

Hi Terry,

I just reached out to a library where I'm scheduled for a program later this month.  The program I do is 100% public domain -- the joys of historical programs.  I suspect material you are using is also public domain.  They offered to either postpone the program or live stream it.  I'm not sure how many of us have that option, I know I would need them handling it, but it's becoming a method for all manner of meetings and performances.  I confess that techies would need to help me if I tried to do it on my own.

Just heard that Hong Kong is finding that survivors of the virus have 20-30% reduced lung capacity.  Stay well & use it as you said, with new material work.

I might even find time to go back through the timeline here as I've had to be off it with rehearsals and performances.

Lois, the 20-30% is pretty significant. Stay away from my door, pretty please.

Sounds like you are pretty busy. Good on you.
I don’t know anything about the term, “Live streaming.” I guess I am still in the dark ages. Public Domain. Never give it a thought. I never record myself anymore. Probably quit playing if i did. But I am having the time of my life pretending to be an entertainer.
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts
Rain Dog:
He's such a great lyricist. I've tried to learn Downtown Train on the guitar. Really need to revisit his catalog with the dulcimer in mind. Those are both good songs. Come on up to the house sounds like a gospel song to me, although some might question Tom's spirituality.

I like my baritone ukulele with the two songs I mentioned.
Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
He's such a great lyricist. I've tried to learn Downtown Train on the guitar. Really need to revisit his catalog with the dulcimer in mind. Those are both good songs. Come on up to the house sounds like a gospel song to me, although some might question Tom's spirituality.
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts
Rain Dog:
@terry-wilson "I have decided I like Tom Waits." Tom Waits is great! Actually where I took my user name from.

That’s cool as can be. There are 2 songs i really really love. “I hope that I don’t fall in love with you.”
And. “Come on up to my house.”
The 2nd one ca be construed as a gospel song.
Rain Dog
Rain Dog
@rain-dog
4 years ago
18 posts
@terry-wilson "I have decided I like Tom Waits." Tom Waits is great! Actually where I took my user name from.
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

I play at an Assisted Living Facility. I cancelled before I got word from them, because I just don't think any of us outsiders should be coming in there at this time. I have heard one the the Assisted Living Facilities in town isn't allowing visitors, I'm sure the one I play at and the others will follow suit. 

Be smart. Stay healthy.

UserNo4
UserNo4
@userno4
4 years ago
30 posts

I used to visit my father-in-law when he lived in a memory care facility. (You know what they say about music being one of the last things to go.) I would sing with the staff music therapist (or whatever her title was) but have been there just once (with my hammered dulcimer) since he died. 

I've thought of going back, but lately I've been wondering how long it will be until I would be barred. Perhaps already.

And I go to a weekly jam session that meets in the dining area of a senior-only apartment building. Yeah, I wonder how long we will be doing that. I didn't go to the last session because I had a leaky nose and decided to stay home and rest. 

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
4 years ago
197 posts

Hi Terry,

I just reached out to a library where I'm scheduled for a program later this month.  The program I do is 100% public domain -- the joys of historical programs.  I suspect material you are using is also public domain.  They offered to either postpone the program or live stream it.  I'm not sure how many of us have that option, I know I would need them handling it, but it's becoming a method for all manner of meetings and performances.  I confess that techies would need to help me if I tried to do it on my own.

Just heard that Hong Kong is finding that survivors of the virus have 20-30% reduced lung capacity.  Stay well & use it as you said, with new material work.

I might even find time to go back through the timeline here as I've had to be off it with rehearsals and performances.

Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
4 years ago
297 posts

Well, after a few years of performing at senior homes two-three times weekly, I’ve been locked out until further notice.  Coronavirus.

Others having this experience?  I wholeheartedly agree with their decisions.  But it’s kind of a loose feeling.  Missing the experience, but most of all the residents.  After awhile, it’s like having a bunch of mothers.  Even though I am older than some.

Gonna take this down time to learn some new songs, dulcimer and ukulele.  Already working on this.  I have decided I like Tom Waits.  Write some new jokes.  How many times can you tell the same  old jokes before they figure you out.

Time to also work on some new devotions.  With the reality of this virus and it’s potential outcome,  I suspect it might be high time to delve into this a little deeper.  Perhaps I need to have a gut check.

”Just rambling a bit with a sincere mine.”

updated by @terry-wilson: 03/13/20 10:05:51PM