Type of dulcimer wall hanger

Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
4 years ago
134 posts

I just use traditional, stylish, wall hooks and a large loop of leather lacing placed over the head and then on the hook. 

Anna Maria
Anna Maria
@annamaria
4 years ago
5 posts
Okay, thanks.
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Anna Maria: Thank you, that helps. I can get it to hang but it sticks out from the wall and I’m afraid it will get knocked, given the location.

That's how they hang on String Swings. Maybe a better location would do the trick. 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,081 posts

Thanks Lisa and Nathina. I knew Jim was going to help for a while, but I didn't realize he had not left yet. That's good to know. Glad you were able to learn something about your dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Anna Maria
Anna Maria
@annamaria
4 years ago
5 posts
Thank you, that helps. I can get it to hang but it sticks out from the wall and I’m afraid it will get knocked, given the location.
image.jpg
image.jpg  •  177KB

Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Anna Maria:

I am relatively new to dulcimer playing and a newbie to the forum, and was hoping for some help. I would like to hang/store my dulcimer on the wall next to my guitar. Since I've done this with my guitar I've noticed I'm playing more and hope that will happen with my dulcimer!

I ordered a hanger from String Swing and it doesn't work with a flat head (I think it's for a scroll type). When I called to do an exchange, they couldn't tell me which one would work.

So, as I'd like the hangers to match, do you know which String Swing hanger would work for a flat head dulcimer? I don't want to go the picture hanger/string route. Many thanks in advance.

Anna Maria, 

I have a String Swing for a regular acoustic guitar. I just tried my McSpadden with a flat head on it, and it worked fine. My McSpadden is the 26"VSL, so the flat head is shaped slightly different than the standard McSpadden flat head, but I don't think that should matter (but then again, I could be wrong). I did notice that you have to start with the dulcimer vertical, point the head toward the wall, get it between the two arms, then let the dulcimer down toward the wall. It would not work to twist the dulcimer back and forth, while keeping the dulcimer in a completely vertical position. I tried to show this in the first picture. Hope this helps.

IMG_20201110_094215885.jpg

IMG_20201110_094145373.jpg

IMG_20201110_094131681.jpg

updated by @susie: 11/10/20 09:55:42AM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,252 posts

Ken Longfield:

Jim Woods sold McSpadden and The Dulcimer Shoppe. The new owner's name is Tim, but I can't recall his surname.

Tim Grothen. Jim is helping out during the transition.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Anna Maria
Anna Maria
@annamaria
4 years ago
5 posts
Thank you.
Susie
Susie
@susie
4 years ago
500 posts

Anna Maria, I will check my String Swing that I have for another instrument tomorrow and see how my McSpadden with a flat head fits on it. 

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Ken, I just spoke with Jim Woods today, he is still there it seems. Did find out the age of the McSpadden dulc I bought is 1982 likely made around August or September. Full Walnut, but that's all they had.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,081 posts

Jim Woods sold McSpadden and The Dulcimer Shoppe. The new owner's name is Tim, but I can't recall his surname. Anyone you talk with at McSpadden will be more than happy to help though.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

Contact Jim Woods at McSpadden, send him the picture of the flat head hanger, tell him your serial number and ask him what he recommends mcspadden@mvtel.net 

Anna Maria
Anna Maria
@annamaria
4 years ago
5 posts
Nathina:

This is for the flat head dulcimer.

Thank you for the images. I have both of these hangers and neither fits my flat head McSpadden.
:-(
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

This is for a scroll head dulcimer

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

This is for the flat head dulcimer.

Anna Maria
Anna Maria
@annamaria
4 years ago
5 posts

I am relatively new to dulcimer playing and a newbie to the forum, and was hoping for some help. I would like to hang/store my dulcimer on the wall next to my guitar. Since I've done this with my guitar I've noticed I'm playing more and hope that will happen with my dulcimer!

I ordered a hanger from String Swing and it doesn't work with a flat head (I think it's for a scroll type). When I called to do an exchange, they couldn't tell me which one would work.

So, as I'd like the hangers to match, do you know which String Swing hanger would work for a flat head dulcimer? I don't want to go the picture hanger/string route. Many thanks in advance.