Mummers Making a Comeback

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
8 years ago
33 posts

There is a community living in Newfoundland whose ancestors come from the south east of Ireland (Wexford, Waterford area ) They still speak with the same accents and dialect and a lot of the traditions are the same. The Wexford area still has a very strong tradition of Mummers.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 years ago
259 posts

Val, I thought it sounded like an Irish tune on the video... Very cool.

MacAodha
MacAodha
@macaodha
8 years ago
33 posts

It's a tradition that is still very strong here in Ireland. Back in the late 70's a local play write, wrote and composed the music to the Mummers of Rellig. Myself and some friends were the orchestra for the play. We performed at the Listowel writers week and came away with the top prize. 

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
8 years ago
259 posts

There is a link within Strumelia's original post link:  Mummers Song by Simini - Newfoundland Original Uncut Version  in case you missed it. Looks like so much fun. Makes me wish I was a Newfy. 

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

OH WOW WOW WOW....I'm going to look this up on Google.  Never heard of it before...but in Hawaii for 30 years....a lot of stuff I didn't learn about, but other stuff I did.  now off for learnings.  how fun, a whole parade playing banjos and looking like this?  aloha, irene

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,088 posts

There you go, Robin.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,428 posts

@ken-longfield  My friends are from Philadelphia.  :)

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,088 posts

The Mummers may be making a comeback up north, but here in Pennsylvania they are an 118 year old tradition.  http://phillymummers.com . I always liked the string band tradition. All those folks walk down the parade route in fancy costumes playing banjos. I'm glad to see it being picked up again in Newfoundland.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song." And the banjo can be loud and raucous.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,428 posts

Wow!

I have music friends here in Ohio who first told me about a Mummers parade their hometown (not in Ohio).  Had never heard of Mummers until then.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,254 posts

I enjoyed this article about the resurgence of an old 'Mummers' tradition in Newfoundland...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/15/americas/cnnphotos-mummers-newfoundland/index.html

mummer.jpg

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM