Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
12 years ago
197 posts

WOW!

Folkfan, thanks. For the time being I'm still using an old 6_ fret with serious limitations that make it better to stay in DAA. I know our folklore group's sub-group for dulcimer is playing DAd tab & thought it was a problem. This gives me hope until I succumb to DAD (Dulcimer Acquisition Disease). It's coming, but hopefully after Christmas expenses.

folkfan
@folkfan
12 years ago
357 posts

Pat, If you are playing a tab that has 6+ or 6 1/2 fret and is in a DAd tuning, you can easily switch to a DAA tuning. This is done by adding 3 to each of the fret numbers. Zero in DAd would be 3 in DAA, 1 to 4, 2 to 5 etc. on up. A 6+ becomes 9.

For any zero, 1, or 2 played on the middle string , simply bring them straight down to the melody string at the same fret.

And DAd and DAA tabs can be played together. So you can play the popular DAd tabs in DAA with a group playing in DAd. Just add 3. Hope this helps.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
12 years ago
422 posts

9 on the A string is the same as 6+ on the melody string. It's a common workaround for playing without the 6 1/2 fret if you can reach it.

Rob

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
12 years ago
2,111 posts

What tuning is *requiring* you to use a 6+ fret? Playing Chord-Melody or Melody Stringstyle? The more or less correct answer is to change tuning tothe onethat does not require the 6+ fret. If it's DAd that requires the 6+, then tune to DAA and play the tune; or vice versa.

I would not suggest a toothpick as a temporary fret - it's too soft, and the note will not sound clearly. Use a length of large paperclip wire instead.

The simplest work around is to just not play the 6+ note, but either rest for that time or play the previous note again or the following note twice.

Since your dulcimer does not have a 6+ fret I would seriously suggest learning to play in DAA rather than DAd. If you must play Chord-Melody style, you can play the same chords, more or less, in DAA (but not at the same frets). But a traditional (no 6+ fret) diantonic dulcimer is probably best played traditionally -- Melody & Drone or Noter & Drone style.

Skip
Skip
@skip
12 years ago
359 posts

Two suggestions, use a toothpick as a temporary fret or 'bend' the string at the 6th fret. Bending is pushing/pulling the string to cause the tone to change to higher a tone.