What is the best way to dipose of my collection?

Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
@curtis-carlisle-bouterse
2 years ago
15 posts

Dusty, That's a good idea. Thanks. In the flesh, so to speak, is always preferable.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
2 years ago
1,727 posts

Curtis, I see you are in the San Diego area.  If you haven't already done so, you might consider contacting the Southern California Dulcimer Heritage Society .  They hold a big annual event in the fall, and you might be able to showcase some of your instruments there.  @Leo-Kretzner is a member here and is intimately involved in that group.  He might have some advice for you as well.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,252 posts

If you are going to sell some of them, it's the shipping which will become the biggest chore, and the protective packaging so they don't get crushed in transit, and just getting suitable shipping boxes.

Are you saying you have over 80 dulcimers? You may want to get a well advertised estate sale going and a professional person to help with this. It's a whole lot of dulcimers.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 years ago
2,123 posts

If you have any truly collectable instruments by known historic makers -- Pritchard, Thomas, Singleton, Presnell, Mize, Ritchie, etc.   Make a list, assign a price, and post them here where other  serious dulcimer collectors can have an opportunity to enlarge their collection!

Or, pick out those "special" instruments, come here and post a list.  Then create a limited time auction post for one instrument at a time....

Make a list of your dulcimer playing friends and acquaintances.  Don't ask them,  Just "assign" one of your instruments to each person, based on whatever criteria you prefer.  Tell them to pick it up or arrange shipment.  

Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
Curtis Carlisle Bouterse
@curtis-carlisle-bouterse
2 years ago
15 posts

After passing my 81st birthday it seems prudent to consider dispersing my dulcimer collection. I have more of them than I do years on this earth - neither situation was planned, they "jes' growed!" I welcome practical suggestions. (I can also be contacted at my email: "Curt" at "last name" dot com.)