Tennessee Waltz

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,726 posts

Vicki, since you have a simple version of the song, I would suggest listening or watching other versions of the song to see if you can steal an idea or two.

Larry Conger, for example, does a really nice job of using some minor chords to add some "color" to the tune.And most of the filler he adds is just quick arpeggios.

For the record, I've been working on this tune for a while myself. I think it's one of most under-rated American melodies. And don't limit yourself to dulcimer versions. Again, since you already have a simple version, try to add a little spice little by little. One of my favorites is this bluesy soulful version by Norah Jones and Bonnie Raitt. You can tell from Nora's gospel-inspired organ at the beginning, that this is something special. Maybe you can steal a melodic variation, a short chord progression, or whatever.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Vicki, I find what happens for me is first I learn a simple version of a melody of a song, then I learn to play some other songs and I get a little better on those....then when i go back to the first simply song melody i seem better able to add a little flourish or variety to it that I couldn't do before. It's a part of the slow learning process process that brings me delight in my own playing, however simply i might play something. Sometimes all it takes is an extra note or two, a full brush across the strings to fill out key moments, or just playing with a touch more expressiveness ...such do-able things will often turn a plain bare bones version into a lovely version. You might be surprised at your own ability to add easy but pretty touches and make your own unique version. Do try playing around with it!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
9 years ago
16 posts

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll just work on it myself and see if I can make improvements.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Just a note that this is a copyrighted song, so you may have to purchase a published arrangement (if there is one) Vicki...and to caution folks from distributing arrangements or tabs of it here on this site without permission. Thanks!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Vicki Moore
Vicki Moore
@vicki-moore
9 years ago
16 posts

Does anyone have a particularly nice arrangement for this beloved and seemingly timeless waltz? I have a simple version, but know that it could sound much, much better. Thanks!

updated by @vicki-moore: 06/11/15 07:42:55AM