Help with identifying a Schnaufer tune

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
3 years ago
30 posts

Dusty Turtle:

That's a Ukrainian tune called Фриендс оф тхе Моунтаин Дулкимер.

No not at all. I'm joking. smile It sounds Celtic to me, too, but Ken may be right that there are pieces of a couple of tunes there.  Part of it is a melody I know, and I may pop in in the middle of the night when I remember it's name.  But I don't recognize that descending ending/turnaround.

By the way, that Cyrillic up above just says Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!  I thought it translated as Amigos del dulcimer de la montaña hee hee!

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
3 years ago
30 posts

Strumelia:

Just for info- I clicked on the .M4a file showing in the post, it downloaded to my laptop, I then opened it in itunes and it played fine for me.

I'm starting to think the tune could have been something David pieced together from various 'Irish-y' phrases. Good musicians can do that and spontaneously create a 'new' tune from snippets of existing tunes in their mind. This tune is pretty, but it also makes me think of tune snippets artfully strung together.
Old-time musicians do this as well, especially when sitting around in a jam and doodling, or searching for a tune to play while in a jam session and people are trying to figure out a next tune to play.

This is fascinating to me! Thank you for explaining this :-D

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,255 posts

Just for info- I clicked on the .M4a file showing in the post, it downloaded to my laptop, I then opened it in itunes and it played fine for me.

I'm starting to think the tune could have been something David pieced together from various 'Irish-y' phrases. Good musicians can do that and spontaneously create a 'new' tune from snippets of existing tunes in their mind. This tune is pretty, but it also makes me think of tune snippets artfully strung together.
Old-time musicians do this as well, especially when sitting around in a jam and doodling, or searching for a tune to play while in a jam session and people are trying to figure out a next tune to play.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,729 posts

That's a Ukrainian tune called Фриендс оф тхе Моунтаин Дулкимер.

No not at all. I'm joking. smile It sounds Celtic to me, too, but Ken may be right that there are pieces of a couple of tunes there.  Part of it is a melody I know, and I may pop in in the middle of the night when I remember it's name.  But I don't recognize that descending ending/turnaround.

By the way, that Cyrillic up above just says Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 12/19/21 01:40:54AM
Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
3 years ago
30 posts

Dan:

I took the liberty of converting it to mp3

Well, thank you very much Dan for the conversion! Thanks to you it appears others have been able to listen to it, and I will take Strumelia's suggestion and head over to thesession.org. I really appreciate the input. Cheers and happy holidays to you all. :-D Linda

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
3 years ago
30 posts

Robin Thompson:

Hi, Linda!  I've not had luck with downloading the file.  I hope some knowledgable person can and is able to identify the tune!  

Thank you for trying, Robin. :-D I will see if I can figure out another way to send. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 years ago
2,126 posts

There are phrases from at least four Irish tunes which I know that are in there!

Dan
Dan
@dan
3 years ago
185 posts

I took the liberty of converting it to mp3

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,255 posts

Not sure, but it sounds to me a bit like an Irish tune. Perhaps if you post it on thesession.org they will know right away what it is.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,429 posts

Hi, Linda!  I've not had luck with downloading the file.  I hope some knowledgable person can and is able to identify the tune!  

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
3 years ago
30 posts

Greetings to all on FOTMD. During the course of some research for a book project I was sent some very early (1974) recordings of David Schnaufer playing the dulcimer. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me identify this tune for the Schnaufer archives at Vanderbilt University's Blair School of Music? (It now belongs to the archives.)

Thank you, Linda

m4a
04 4. Unknown.m4a  •  1.4MB