Mountain Dulcimer Cd's you like to listen too.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Oh Ken this sounds like I really would love this cd, thank you for your suggestion.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Robert Schuler, I checked out the cd on the DPN site and it is really good.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will enjoy the DPN subscription.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thank you for the suggestion Robert, I ordered DPN yesterday. Really sounds like a great resource and good reading, good for my Dulci Journey.

Cynthia, I put this book on my tab book wish list and hope to be able to buy it in the future.Smile.gif

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

My favorite dulcimer CD is the one that came with the book Celtic Songs and Slow Airs (Mel Bay). I got the book about the time I got the McSpadden kit and listened to it all the time I was building that dulcimer. It is not only some of the most beautiful singing and playing I've heard, but the book has all the music and tab to it. I've learned many from there. Neal Hellman is the author of that book. Slow and lovely...

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
A favorite of mine is the CD that comes with each DPN. I sometimes play HD too... Robert
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thank you Robin T.; Oh boy they are going on my cd list, for when I get to buy more.

I am listening to MD music in the car and when I do house chores, so I am saturated with sweet sounds.

Sometimes they rumble in my head when I sleep or when it is quiet too.117.gif 43.gif

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
9 years ago
1,422 posts
Bill Graves- Sugar in the Coffee (lap dulcimer makes up a portion of the recordings)Jean Ritchie- The Most Dulcimer (nice vocals, too)
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thanks Dusty, this would be an interesting choice, I like folk songs and those from HI, seem to be relaxing.Smile.gif

I put this one on my wish list because I believe I have spent my MD Journey money for this month, but I am going to check into this one.

I have ordered 5 cd's, including Jean Richies Traditional book which comes with a cd, all choices from all of your suggestions and I think these will keep me swaying and singing for a time.69.gif

Thanks all for your contributions.....My dulcimer Journey is Fun!36.gif

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Lexie, my suggested CD is not filled with traditional appalachian folk tunes at all, but I find it to be the most relaxing dulcimer CD of the several dozen that I own: Mark Nelson's Ke Kukima Polinahe: Hawaiian and Polynesian Music for Mountain Dulcimer .

645_forums.jpg?width=200

I think there is a book of tab for all the songs on the CD, but it might be difficult stuff for I've never heard anyone else play the tunes.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thanks Mandy, I will check out your suggestion.Smile.gif

There are great suggestions that many may like here, I am excited to collect folk tunes running through my head and having the sweet sounds of the MD will be of great benefit for my learning to hear songs and play them. Also it will be fun and interesting to see how my Lil' Girl Friend responds to the sounds coming from Aunties home.69.gif

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thanks Joe, Gail, Rob, Robert and Ken;30.gif

You all tuned me in on some nice selections and I think I will have enough to listen to while I am driving or dancing with my mop and broom.69.gif

Joe the Nashville Dulcimers, was a great find and just what I was looking for with songs I am learning on it and some I don't know yet.

Thank you for the link I am sure other's may have an interest also.

Mandy
Mandy
@mandy
9 years ago
140 posts

Hey Lexie, check out Sarah Morgan. I have her Run to the Window CD and really enjoy it. Good stuff.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
9 years ago
420 posts

Anything by The Simmons Family, from Stone County, Arkansas, home of McSpadden Dulcimers, would be a good choice. Jerry Rockwell had a cd called (something like) Favorite American Folk Tunes, but I'm not sure it's still in print. If Robin Clark's cd is still available that would be good. David Schnaufer's "Tennessee Music Box" cd has a lot of traditional material on it and is (I think) all solo dulcimer. I'm sure there's a couple more that I can't think of right now.

Bob's right; Mary Faith Rhodes would be good, too.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
Lexie, if you search YouTube you will find the dulcimer recording's of Mary Rhoades. She plays in the old style, pure and simple... Bob.
Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
9 years ago
70 posts

Lexie, here's a link to the recording on Youtube of Ebeneezer - the first tune on the Russell CD. If this doesn't get you up and ready to dance, I don't know what will!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Thanks Robert and Gail for your suggestion.

Robert, I may consider a MP3 player, might work not sure.

Gail, I put the Russell Family on my wish list, I love Galax dulcimer and it sounds like what I am looking for, I am wanting mostly dulcimer alone so I can hear the sweet sounds while I am doing dishes and what not.

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
9 years ago
70 posts

Lexie, one of my favorite dulcimer CDs is Galax Style Dulcimer done by Bonnie Russell and the Russell family. I don't know if you are familiar with this style, but I think it's a great CD - done many years ago when Bonnie was only 14 years old, I believe. There is no singing, but the music is great!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

What a wonderful resourse Ken, thank you.

I like it especially for the history of the folk songs and I am sure this will give me and others much enjoyment of gathering a verity of folk music I would like to listen too and learn about.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts
Great idea. I keep a skinny smart phone in my shirt pocket loaded with old fiddle tunes. I let them play when I'm working... Bob
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

Not "dulcimer", but the best collection of traditional Anglo-American folk music I know is www.contemplator.com -- words and music.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Hi Folks, I am wanting to begin a collection of good Traditional Folk tunes, so I can saturate myself with Mountain Dulcimer music when I am doing house hold chores.

I would like your suggestions, Thanks!Grin.gif

updated by @lexie-r-oakley: 08/02/23 04:30:11PM