Kevin Keating
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
5 years ago
13 posts
Modified a Spider Capo to use on a hogfiddle. A couple of washers were needed to help it close a little tighter.
Kevin Keating
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
7 years ago
13 posts

Sorry so late w these pics of my capo.

Photo04061713.jpg
Photo04061713.jpg  •  94KB

Photo04061714.jpg
Photo04061714.jpg  •  129KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Mike, please use our site settings questions forum for your questions about the new site.

For example, it answers your group question already: http://fotmd.com/forums/forum/new-site-questions-how-do-i/14543/why-do-my-groups-not-show

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,252 posts

Images that were attachments to posts in the old site were not migrated to here- it was not possible because of the Ning archiving tool formatting.

They would have to be added again new.  Sorry!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Mike Volker
Mike Volker
@mike-volker
9 years ago
1 posts

I belong to the fingerpicking group, yet it does not show up on my groups.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Dale, this may not be the same as Kevin's but maybe this web page will give you some ideas: www.sternercapo.se/capomuseum/Special/Dulcimer/dulcimer.htm. Sorry I typed that out. I am not able to copy and paste website links in comments. Ugh!!!

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Dale, I'm guessing the picture didn't migrate over from the old site. Just a guess.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Dale, I can't see it either.

Kevin Keating
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
9 years ago
13 posts

Yeah, it's a bit heavy, but I'm pretty careful with it. I added a leather pad to the wood that presses down the strings to keep the strings from getting marred, particularly the wound D. I tried the 1/4-20 bolt with wooden discs, but it seemed to slip a little loose.

Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
9 years ago
80 posts

Me too. They work pretty well.

Ken Hulme said:

Looks pretty good... a bit heavy perhaps, but as long as it works, who cares. I've made capos from a 1/4-20 bolt and wingnut with two wooden disks to grab the sides of the fretboard, and a length of vinyl tubing to protect the strings from th bolt threads.

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

Looks pretty good... a bit heavy perhaps, but as long as it works, who cares. I've made capos from a 1/4-20 bolt and wingnut with two wooden disks to grab the sides of the fretboard, and a length of vinyl tubing to protect the strings from th bolt threads.

Susie
Susie
@susie
9 years ago
500 posts

Nothing wrong with creativity! It was probably really fun to do, too. Just a word of advice.....don't drop that capo on your dulcimer! It could really do some damage.

Kevin Keating
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
9 years ago
13 posts

I stitched the leather pouch to keep the capo in.

Kevin Keating
Kevin Keating
@kevin-keating
9 years ago
13 posts
This is a pic of a capo I made recently. Yes, it's made of cast metal. YIKES! None of the contact points to the instrument, however are metal. A plastic plug is on the screw end, a small strip of leather on the other end, and a piece of maple dowel pushes the strings down.I t began with a fly fisherman's fly tying vise table clamp. From that I cut and ground down the metal to reduce the weight as much as possible. I redrilled the screw to set it closer to the top. Then attached the leather, plastic plug and wood.It's a bit clunky, but it works. I'd rather it be a nice piece of wood, but my metal working skills are much better than my wood working skills, so this is what I have for now.Does anyone else have any ideas for homemade capos and such?
updated by @kevin-keating: 02/17/19 01:24:38AM