Looking For Tab: Elk River Blues

Anne Bowman
Anne Bowman
@anne-bowman
8 years ago
56 posts

Stephen Seifert's book 'The Early Years' has it, and heaps of other good stuff, as well as a CD to go with it, or you can download... http://www.stephenseifert.com/download-store/the-early-years

Paula Brawdy
Paula Brawdy
@paula-brawdy
8 years ago
53 posts

Loved hearing the original fiddler play it...He looks like a nice fellow too!

Bob Reinsel
Bob Reinsel
@bob-reinsel
9 years ago
80 posts

Here is my version, I don't have it tabbed out:  Elk River Blues .  I kind of based this on this recording by the author:

--
Bob
Site Moderator

The greatest music is made for love, not for money -- Greg Lake
Victory Martin
Victory Martin
@victory-martin
9 years ago
8 posts

Thank you all for the information, no wonder I love FOTMD so much, you guys are always eager to help, you are the greatest and thanks again...Vic..

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

As you know a lot of songs are built on the same or closely related melodies. Little Sparrow is very close to ERB. The tab to LS might be easier to find. LS was one of the first songs I learned and when I heard ERB it instantly came out of the dulcimer. I play it Daa... Familiarise one song makes learning similar songs easy... Robert...

john p
john p
@john-p
9 years ago
173 posts

I did a quick demo a while back, but can't find the post using the search. Probably in amongst the coments somewhere.

Here it is again. The fret order looks a bit scarey, so if you can try and learn it by ear from the sound clip you may find it easier.

jrSoundCloud_embed: item_id parameter required

updated by @john-p: 09/01/15 07:25:58AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,720 posts

Check out this discussion at Everything Dulcimer . You will find links to audio versions, video versions, and also tablature both for noter/drone play and for chorded play.

Jan is sorta kinda probably correct, or not.krazy  The West Virginia fiddler Ernie Carpenter wrote the song (in the 1950s, I think) and you would expect it to be under copyright. However, I have not found any evidence that the song is copyrighted, and everyone (not just dulcimer players) seems to both credit Carpenter for its composition and also post music and tablature freely.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
9 years ago
155 posts

Someone posted the fret numbers here several weeks ago, either here or one the old site.  I haven't been able to locate the posts yet but I am sure that they are here somewhere.  A search of "Elk River Blues" didn't show any results.  Some one will probably find it or post it tomorrow when everyone has had a chance to see the request.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
9 years ago
399 posts

I think this is under copyright still.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Victory Martin
Victory Martin
@victory-martin
9 years ago
8 posts

Looking for DAA Tab to Elk River Blues. Thank you

updated by @victory-martin: 07/25/16 10:23:24AM