Classic Country and Old Country Tab Books

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
5 years ago
197 posts

https://johnsackenheim.com is more "traditional" than "country music."  I almost didn't look at it, then decided to peek.

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Strumelia & Skip;

Thank you for those helpful comments and ideas.  I have been trying to steer new players to qualified teachers and give

suggestions for books.  Will need to stress the 1 1/2 fret along with 6 1/2 and 13 1/2 if installed.

Thanks again,

JimP

Skip
Skip
@skip
8 years ago
359 posts

I would add that the confusing part would be why the 1+ [1 1/2] is not 2 when the MD is purchased with it already installed. The same 'numerical order' problem exists with the 6+and 13+ as well as any other additional frets in 'dulcimer speak. :) You may want to consider some sort of handout and/or recommend a good beginners book explaining this when selling an MD with additional frets to new dulcimer players, especially those who [will] depend on TAB.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Jim Phillips:
Many of my instrument buyers here in Ohio are beginners, although some have played other stringed instruments.  Do you think the 1 1/2 fret is confusing to new players? Jim

To be honest, when learning a new instrument, just about 'everything' is confusing to a beginner, especially if no one has ever explained to them the basics of WHY they are 'missing' certain frets or notes in the first place.

I think if a new player is motivated to learn by making the effort to do some listening and reading and/or has a decent teacher who can explain basics well, then they will fairly quickly catch on to initially confusing stuff, and an extra fret or a new tuning won't stop them.   sing

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 01/14/16 02:59:02PM
Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Ken;

Did you attend the Hindman, Kentucky dulcimer festival this past year?  I thought I maybe picked that up from

one of your posts.

JimP

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Sorry- I meant Skip!  Dropped a letter there.

JimP

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Kip;

Many of my instrument buyers here in Ohio are beginners, although some have played other stringed instruments.  Do you

think the 1 1/2 fret is confusing to new players?

Jim

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Ken;

Thanks for the information.  I think I will try it!

Jim

Skip
Skip
@skip
8 years ago
359 posts

I have 4 of his books. He also has a lot of retuning and some 4 equidistant choices. 

I do some light work on MD's when I come south for the winter, mostly restringing and adding 1+ and 6+ frets. I think at least 1/2 -3/4 of our bunch here [at least 35 in the group] have the 1+ fret. All of my MDs have the 1+. I also build my own. It is probably the 'new 6+' of mods/fads. You probably should have the capability to easily add it.

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Ken;

John is a real proponent of the 1 1/2 fret.  Do you ever play a 1 1/2 fret instrument.  I have not tried it yet.  I build and sell dulcimers, so

I am thinking about building an instrument with 1 1/2 fret configuration.  I am hearing that many experienced players are requesting 1 1/2

fret on new dulcimers.

Jim

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Ken;

Thanks for adding John's website!  I found John's bio on that site very informative.  Military Veteran, engineer, music arranger and author - 

PRETTY IMPRESSIVE.

Jim

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,082 posts

Jim, John does indeed produce some fine books. I am glad that you found them and like them. For those interested in learning more, here is a link to John's website: http://www.johnsackenheim.com/John_Sackenheim/Home.html

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Jim Phillips
Jim Phillips
@jim-at-gcreek
8 years ago
15 posts

Recently I purchased some tab books from John F. Sackenheim.  The book I am learning from right now contains

country and western songs from the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's.  He has many other old country tune books available,

and also has Gaither music.

I think John's material is very well done and highly recommend these books.

updated by @jim-at-gcreek: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM