Kentucky Music Week 2016 KMW

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
8 years ago
28 posts

sorry I have no real insights  on how to make the most of the week because I stay close to my campsite after session 4 each day..no night  time activities at all...but  I'm at White Acres site 5 and will be at the school Sun 5-ish also.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

For anyone else headed to KMW who's wondering about "Sunday afternoon"...the Best Western "General Nelson Inn" has told us that our rooms won't be ready until 4 or 4:30 or so....So they're making the event building (in back of the motel behind the pool) available to give us a place to congregate, jam, talk, etc.  So it will be sort of a "meet and greet" before we head over to Bardstown Elem. at 5pm.   The school is just 2 blocks from the Gen. Nelson and the Stephen Foster Restaurant is next door if you want a convenient place for supper. 

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Norm Swier
Norm Swier
@norm-swier
8 years ago
1 posts

OK, so this is my first KMW and I'm all set up at the state park, site #13.   Anyone with wisdom on how to get the most out of this week, drop in and let me know.   Jan already shared some helpful thoughts about Sunday afternoon, thanks!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Kandee:

I do not have a Paypal account.  Thanks though.

Kandee, you can just use a credit card to pay through Paypal, without opening or having a paypal account.

Janene Millen:

Strumelia--I'll go ahead and buy a button because I could use one anyway...but just wondering if it might get here by this Friday?? I depart Saturday. 

If you order it right this minute, I can get it in the mail within the next two hours (monday) before the post office picks up and closes.  Then it'd have like an 80% or 90% chance of arriving to you by Friday.

UPDATE - just got your order- let me run to the PO right now and get your package out!   nod

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 06/13/16 02:04:54PM
Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
8 years ago
28 posts

Strumelia--I'll go ahead and buy a button because I could use one anyway...but just wondering if it might get here by this Friday?? I depart Saturday. 

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
8 years ago
28 posts

Jan--thanks for stepping up with some ideas for coordinating etc.  I could certainly "do" lunch on Tuesday if that's what is suggested.  I depart for our 3 week trip this weekend but I will check back here for updates while I'm on the road.

I thought there were some open stage "events" at the lunch hour on some days...that I didn't see on the schedule; that's why I wasn't so sure about the schedule....but I think Tues is a great suggestion of connecting with FOTMD folks. 

Kandee
Kandee
@kandee
8 years ago
25 posts

I do not have a Paypal account.  Thanks though.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Kandee,  I'm the one with the buttons, here at home.  If anyone wants to order FOTMD pin buttons in time for Kentucky music week, they need to order them right NOW , via Paypal, in order for me to get them to you in time through the mail 1st class.   Order them HERE .   If you wait past June 15 to order them, they may not get to you by the weekend of June 24th in time for Kentucky music week.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Kandee
Kandee
@kandee
8 years ago
25 posts

I was away for a couple of days and look at all the fun I missed!  Kristi, I play the mountain dulcimer.  I would put myself in the semi-hope to be a pro someday category. thumbsup   Still consider myself a beginner but I am having a blast learning.  I went to KMW Winter Session and it was so much fun!  This KMW is my vacation this summer and I can't wait to get there.

Jan, your ideas are FANTASTIC!  I like all of them!  Okay, so lunch on Tuesday.  Look for the FOTMD table.  Balloons will definitely help me find everyone.  Will there be FOTMD buttons available there to purchase?  I am more likely to buy one at the event than online.

Thanks for the heads up on the Stephen Foster Restaurant too.  We will definitely be checking that out.  

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
8 years ago
182 posts

Jan Potts:

For anyone eating suppers out, the Stephen Foster Restaurant  at 503 W. Stephen Foster Rd.

That's our main place to eat in Bardstown!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

For anyone eating suppers out, the Stephen Foster Restaurant  at 503 W. Stephen Foster Rd. (2 blocks from the school and just west of the Best Western--also called the "General Nelson Inn"...and kind of behind a gas station) is one of the places frequented by KMW attendees--just show up anytime between 5 and 6:30 and you'll find folks to sit with.  They have a buffet that's around $10 and it has a wide variety which changes slightly every day.  Not gourmet, but typical country home cookin'.  You can expect things like fried catfish, pork chops, chicken, ham, shrimp, pot roast, mashed potatoes, greens, corn, brown beans and cornbread, salad bar, chocolate cake, hot cobbler and a Make-your-own sundae station with soft serve ice cream (which is also good on top of the cobbler).

There are many really good restaurants in Bardstown...I just mention this one because it's easy to connect with other KMW folks--we just keep filling up the tables!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Janene Millen:

Not fully aware of the daily schedule at KMW at this time.

Can be found here  http://www.kentuckymusicweek.com/schedules.html

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Kandee, I want to meet you and the other FOTMD attendees!  I'll ask Nancy (the director) if it's OK to connect in various ways.  Having lunch together--Tuesday?-- would be one way.  I was thinking of putting some helium balloons on a couple tables so we'd know where to sit.  Those of us not signed up for the lunch plan will either bring a lunch or will buy something to eat at the concession stand.  I was thinking about putting up a sign with FOTMD in large letters and lots of space around it to "sign in" that you're there...maybe add a photo, say where you're staying, put down what classes you're taking...any other suggestions?  It really is great to meet our fellow members in person, and early in the week is the way to do it.

I'd also strongly urge members who are attending KMW or DulcimerU  or ANY of these other events to purchase the FOTMD button...pin it on (or near) your name tag so it will be easily noticed!  The ordering info is on our home page.

Let me know if you have other suggestions.  And if you want your photo on the poster, send it to me or let me know it's OK to print off one from this site.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
8 years ago
28 posts

I hit the road on June 17 but will check in periodically to see if there are any coordinated efforts to meet up one day at lunch.  I'm flexible (I think).  Not fully aware of the daily schedule at KMW at this time.

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
8 years ago
84 posts

Kandee   Be prepared to have lots of great learning options and making new friends. The atmosphere is amazingly helpful and humorous. What do you play (3 correct notes puts you in a semi pro classification) ?

Ask lots of questions when people are not rushing thither and yon. The first day has a certain feeling of confusion as we all attempt to get to classes on time. There will be maps on the walls to indicate what is where. My favorite is location of rest rooms!

Kandee
Kandee
@kandee
8 years ago
25 posts

This will be my first time attending KMW.  I am really looking forward to leaving the corporate world behind for an entire week and immersing myself in playing my dulcimer.  We will be staying in Louisville so the night time jams won't be happening for me.  I think a lunch meet up sounds good!  I figured being at the school we are a captive audience so I did get the lunch package.  Looks like lunch is 12:30 - 2 each day.  Anyone want to pick a day to have a FOTMD meet up?

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
8 years ago
182 posts

Ken Hulme:

Bells, eh?  Taken up Cajun Morris Dancing, have you John?

It's a gift.  winky

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,124 posts

Bells, eh?  Taken up Cajun Morris Dancing, have you John?

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
8 years ago
182 posts

We'll be there with bells on (well...maybe not bells, but you get the idea).  We're at the Parkview.  Lookin' forward to seeing y'all!

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
8 years ago
28 posts

Kristi..Terrific to hear some familiar names that will be there. My understanding is the state park has limited appeal for multiple dog owners plus they never answered the phone when I called and the online reservations were confusing. How could we not have bumped into each other last year at White Acres. We set up a "compound" of fencing for our dogs. Have 4. The jams had no dulcimers. Mainly country and bluegrass. I joined them 1 night. Maybe you were at the KMW activities all day and night. I am at the RV from 5th period and on. No night activities at all.

Gail Webber
Gail Webber
@gail-webber
8 years ago
70 posts

Wish I could be there, but can't be that far away from home this year due to husband's health problems.  Went last year and it was great!  Hope everyone has a good week there!

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
8 years ago
84 posts

Flying with instruments.

Depending on airline can be very expensive! Southwest does not charge for 2nd checked piece of luggage. Go to a used golf equipment store or garage sale and purchase a hard sided club carrier. You can usually find one which will safely protect two soft cased instruments. Plus there is room for clothing etc to provide even more padding. Several of us in Tucson have used the cases and been very happy with results. Southwest flys into Louisville so trip to Bardstown isn't too bad.

Kristi Keller
Kristi Keller
@kristi-keller
8 years ago
84 posts

I am staying at My Old KY Home State Park Campground in an R-pod trailer. Dana McCall will be sharing it. Karen Persecio and hubby John will be tenting there too. Was at White Acres last year but didn't hear the jams.....Sorry I missed you.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

Wish I could be there! grumpycat

Janene Millen
Janene Millen
@janene-millen
8 years ago
28 posts

Who is going to KMW this year?

I know the Keanes will be there as faculty, Jan Potts, Jill Geary.  Anyone else? Maybe we FOTMD members can rendezvous briefly somewhere during one of the lunch breaks to meet face to face. 

Anyone RVing it? We'll be at White Acres campground as well. Last year there was a site there that "Jammed" every night but no dulcimers....