Introducing Pretty Betty

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
2,254 posts

Betty is just gorgeous!    clapper     Dan made another winner.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
7 years ago
2,126 posts

Dan makes very nice traditional instruments.  Does this one have feet on the bottom?  Either way, play her using a possum board and you'll be amazed at how much volume you'll get.  If you go down to Home Despot or Lowe'st you can find a poplar plank the same width or just a bit wider, about 1/2" thick, and make a matching possum board very easily...

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
234 posts

Pretty Betty is made of all poplar, a traditional and very locally available wood to our dulcimer ancestors who built dulcimers in the Appalachian area (Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia). She was made by Dan Cox a member here on FOTMD also known as Dulcimore Dan. The voice is bright and silvery like the traditional instruments. She is not overly loud, but the older dulcimers were primarily played in the home or on the front porch, perhaps in some of the many small churches which dot the land in Appalachia. She sings a beautiful song.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 years ago
167 posts

She's a PRETTY BETTY for sure.  I love it's the old style.  tell us more about the wood used and who made her.  

aloha, irene

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
7 years ago
234 posts

Just got this dulcimer which I named Pretty Betty, made in the older more traditional style.Nice and bright and silvery sounding.

My DAD [Dulcimer Acquisition Disorder] is now in remission but its hard to say when I may have a relapse and it comes back again.

I know someone will ask for a sound clip. I do not have the knowledge/technology to produce one and get it on the computer

updated by @richard-streib: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM