Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
5 years ago
207 posts

If Ken's method does not work, though I suspect it will work very well............I have used mineral spirits dabbed on and allowed to dry on grease stained antiques and other woodworkers have warmed grease spots with a hair dryer and allowed fullers earth also warmed to sit on the spot overnight and absorb the oil residue.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,124 posts

You might try ironing out any remaining cheesiness...  put down a soft cloth or even a double layer of paper towel.  Place it over the spot and iron on medium heat.  that should make any grease rise into the cloth or paper towel.  After that, then tung oil should be the perfect finish.  I finish almost all my instruments with tung oil; I like the satin finish you get after about 4 coats.

Molly McCurdy
Molly McCurdy
@molly-mccurdy
5 years ago
16 posts

Hi, Ken. The spot is about 1/4” in diameter. It’s grease from melted cheese. I sanded most of it out. I plan on using tung oil to finish.

Molly McCurdy
Molly McCurdy
@molly-mccurdy
5 years ago
16 posts

Ken Hulme:

How big is the speck? 

What kind of 'kitchen grease" (bacon fat, vegetable oil, butter or margarine, etc)? 

How do you intend to finish the fretboard when you're done -- varnish, tung oil, urethane, boiled linseed oil, etc??

Bob
Bob
@bob
5 years ago
86 posts

Matt Berg: I would not try to remove the grease spot. You would have better luck rubbing the entire piece of wood with the same grease. Actually, that would help bring out the wood grain. I would also wait for other ideas.

Um... that will actually become rancid. I would suggest not.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
5 years ago
2,124 posts

How big is the speck? 

What kind of 'kitchen grease" (bacon fat, vegetable oil, butter or margarine, etc)? 

How do you intend to finish the fretboard when you're done -- varnish, tung oil, urethane, boiled linseed oil, etc??

Matt Berg
Matt Berg
@matt-berg
5 years ago
93 posts
I would not try to remove the grease spot. You would have better luck rubbing the entire piece of wood with the same grease. Actually, that would help bring out the wood grain. I would also wait for other ideas.
Molly McCurdy
Molly McCurdy
@molly-mccurdy
5 years ago
16 posts

I have a question for you builders. I’m building a dulcimer on my kitchen table and a speck of grease splashed onto my fret board. Is there any way to get a greasy spot off of walnut?