North Carolina dulcimers getting media attention

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
4 years ago
1,426 posts

Thanks for the link, Dusty!  I hope no one feels the need to correct the fretboards being referred to as "necks".  Our humble instrument is a wonderful thing.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Folks, here's another newspaper article on a dulcimer club in Jasper, IN.

Dulcimer Group Relaxes the Strings of Life

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/11/20 04:15:23PM
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 years ago
234 posts

Ken Longfield:

Thanks, Dusty. I enjoyed the video and was impressed that the group took the songs at a nice even pace (slowly).

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

It was a beautiful execution of the songs and as Ken says at slow pace. Very refreshing.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

Perhaps what surprised me most about the video is that nearly everyone is playing from tab not on paper, but on their tablet computers.  Who says retirees are technophobes?

--
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
4 years ago
28 posts

I happened to be watching the news on WLOS when they aired this story. Melanie and Mack Johnston are good friends of mine and we play together whenever possible. Melanie is also a whiz with Tabledit and teaches classes on it at festivals.

Dan
Dan
@dan
4 years ago
185 posts

“We sometimes say they’ve taken out all the wrong notes, because it does not have all the sharps, flats, all the keys that a piano has, but we have enough notes to play in a particular key and play a song without hitting too many wrong notes,” Johnston said.

I love it!

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,124 posts

Great find Dusty; thanx!

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
4 years ago
234 posts

Great Article. Thanks Dusty for posting.

dulcinina
@dulcinina
4 years ago
87 posts

That was a nice piece.  I've made so many new friends through the dulcimer.  You know, it's sometimes hard for seniors to make new friends.  But the dulcimer has opened that door and others to me.  I love this instrument and want to share it with as many others as I can, and encourage people to try it.  Thanks for posting that ,Dusty.  Nina

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,084 posts

Thanks, Dusty. I enjoyed the video and was impressed that the group took the songs at a nice even pace (slowly).

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,727 posts

I just thought I'd bring to everyone's attention this story that ran on WLOS in North Carolina entitled " Mountain dulcimer connects people to their roots and each other ."

My favorite line: The "quick learning curve and communal nature of the instrument makes the mountain dulcimer a perfect fit for aspiring musicians."

I am not sure the instrument itself has a communal nature, but those who play the dulcimer certainly do!

--
Site Moderator

-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 01/04/20 02:09:22PM