Trying to identify this dulcimer.

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 years ago
388 posts

The head design looks way off for an Amburgey.  Jethro always marked his, as far as I know.  It appears more  "modern" than Jethro's work.  And the fiddle edges are very wide.  Maybe somebody's interpretation of his dulcimers, with differences added?

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,083 posts

I'm traveling over the next ten days, so I am away from my files. I'm working from memory here, but his looks like a kit that was offered in the late 1970s. I am going by the shapes of the peg head and the tail piece. Unfortunately I can't look through my files of dulcimer advertisements or old DPNs until after Dec. 4th.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Don Grundy
Don Grundy
@don-grundy
3 years ago
188 posts

Looking through the sound holes;  is there anything written inside?  Often the luthier identifies himself and the date.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,252 posts

It's lovely, nicely carved with great fiddle edges. If it is an Amburgey, it's best not mess with it- or it will drastically lose value and be ruined. Best not to strip it, paint it, or use heavy or dark varnish or put 'decorations' on it. I assume you are (hopefully) keeping its original pegs.

No identifying marks, anywhere?
What makes you think it was made in the 60s or 70s?

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 11/22/21 08:34:08PM
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
3 years ago
188 posts

It is 60's to 70's very thin and light. The fret board appears to have been designed for staples but this has full frets and no evidence of the staples being replaced. Made of Walnut . The VSL is 28 overall 33. Has many features of an Amburgey but the head is different. The tuners are black ebony, and appear identical to an Amburgey. Had a peg stem for a hitch pin, which I am going to replace with brass pins. In many respects and Amburgey and in many respects not. I am making this playable again for the 21st century. Any ideas who built it? 

DSC00563.JPG
DSC00563.JPG  •  66KB

DSC00564.JPG
DSC00564.JPG  •  91KB

DSC00565.JPG
DSC00565.JPG  •  98KB

DSC00566.JPG
DSC00566.JPG  •  106KB