1970 M12R Signed by L. Mcspadden

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 months ago
1,090 posts

With regard to the price for your dulcimer I think it is too high, but then you might find someone who is willing to pay that much. As was mentioned, there is nothing special about Lynn's signature in an instrument. As he told, whoever was tasked with attaching the dulcimer backs on a particular day signed the labels and glued them in before attaching the back. The Fun With The Dulcimer book isn't of much monetary value. Jean Ritchie's,  The Dulcimer Book might bring $25 -@30 if sold separately (on a good day). Force's In Search of the Wild Dulcimer is available for free download online. I don't think the case adds much to the price. All told, the $400 - $500 price range seems reasonable but you will have to find someone who likes using wood tuning pegs or is willing to spend an additional $100 - $200 to upgrade to geared pegs. In checking the actual sale prices of used McSpadden dulcimers the vast majority of them are going in the range between $200 and $350.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

steve c.
steve c.
@steve-c
3 months ago
66 posts

I own number 712 and I think I paid $200 for it with the original bag.  But if I sold it I would ask maybe $450.  I also have a 1969 Lynn McSpadden, he opened his shop in 68 though he was making dulcimers since 1963.  Now if one could find the first one he made, which was a poorly made by his own words, you might have a dulcimer of some historical significance.  Because the McSpadden company built so many dulcimers (75000+) at a reasonable price, that I doubt if anyone would pay much for some of the older examples.  They do show how the older McSpaddens were larger in size than their more modern counterparts and the wooden pegs are nice.  

updated by @steve-c: 02/03/24 09:29:12PM
John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
3 months ago
389 posts

I agree with the others.  I think about the $400-$500 range or so.  You can try, of course.  It's a wonderful instrument!

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
3 months ago
234 posts

I would suggest you may be a bit high. I have over the past 6 years purchased two McSpadden Dulcimers from the early '80's, both with cases, both seemingly unplayed and paid 350 for one and 300 for the other.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
2,255 posts

There looks to be some bands of darker discoloration on the back, perhaps from lying on some particular fabric or padding that may have been folded in the case bottom for years... or is that just a play of light in the photos?  Otherwise, if it has no cracks or separation at all, it looks to be an exceptionally lovely McSpadden, with a very nice case. Someone might want to buy it at your current price, however the price you set depends also on how quickly you want to sell it.  winky

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
3 months ago
2,126 posts

The signature by L McSpadden really doesn't mean much.  It is known that the building team took turns signing batches of labels that got stock 'wherever', not that Larry made this instrument himself...

Redwood wasn't particularly rare back in the day. It is more so now tho.

The books are worth altogether about $20 tops.

Yes the instrument is in excellent condition.

Yes the case is typical of a John Maxwell quality case.  

Still, I just don't see $2000 here.  There are, as you said, equivalent McSpadden dulcimers, brand new for about $600.  Add a $200 or more for that case, and $20  for the books.  It may be 50 years old, but that of itself, really isn't worth $1000.

Just my opinion, of course.  Any dulcimer is worth only what someone will pay for it.

ZedKloud
ZedKloud
@zedkloud
3 months ago
1 posts

Good morning! I have come across a dulcimer from The Dulcimer Shoppe in Arkansas. The tag reads the date as 11-70, the model as M12R, and is numbered at #812. I am putting this up for sale, however, I am not sure how to price it. I have spoken to the company and they said the M12 is a scroll head model and the R indicates the top is redwood, which is a bit rare for their models. They said if I was to buy a model made like that today, they start at $610. However this dulcimer was made in November of 1970 and is signed L. Mcspadden. It is in amazing condition and I can't seem to find any blemishes on it, although it is a little dusty.  The provenance explained that the case was made by John Maxwell.  I also included a couple of books that came with it, there is one additional book named "In Search of the Wild Dulcimer" by Robert Force & Albert d'Ossche, along with a couple of other odds and ends.  As I can't find comparable examples, I am going to set a price, and if I am way off, please understand it is my ignorance on the matter and is not meant to be insulting.  All offers will be considered.  Thank you for your time!

Asking $2000 OBO