Is there an option to order replies from oldest to newest ?

nicolas_fr
nicolas_fr
@nicolas-fr
2 months ago
4 posts

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the comments. I believe all of what has been said makes sense depending on where you're coming from and the hardware you're using (pc vs mobile). I indeed think like it's been written below (above winky ) that having the response at the top makes a lot of sense for a post that someone is following. It is so much convenient to have the latest reply at the top.

A nice thing would be to allow "followed conversation" or "post in which you replied" to have latest on top, and for the other post, a more traditional way from top to bottom.

updated by @nicolas-fr: 02/16/24 04:36:15AM
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 months ago
1,729 posts

Newest on top is very convenient when you are an active participant in an ongoing conversation.  That way you can join and see quickly the comments added since your last visit. Easy peasy!

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Wildcat
Wildcat
@wildcat
3 months ago
22 posts

@strumelia It took me a bit, but I navigate things pretty well now using my phone and yes, it's nice with newest on top. 😊 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
2,255 posts

Nicolas, on almost any device- a phone, laptop, desktop, or tablet... there are quick keyboard or 'tap' commands that allow one to zip right to the top or bottom of a page. You might find such shortcuts come in handy to get places more quickly.
Thanks!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
nicolas_fr
nicolas_fr
@nicolas-fr
3 months ago
4 posts

Thank you for the clarification, at least I know there is nothing to “figure out” :)

the best of both worlds would indeed be the ability to switch between most recent to a kind of chronological order. 

what would be great is a “jump to bottom” option so that someone reading a post that already has a lot of replies would be able to quickly see the first message without having to scroll all the way down. 

i appreciate the huge task that administrating a forum like this one can be. Thanks again to everyone dedicating time to make this happen. 

have a good day everyone 

nicolas

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 months ago
2,255 posts

Hi, thanks for this question.
The software used for running FOTMD does not allow individual members to re-order forum or group discussions. My choice for which order to use was based on the fact that about 50% of users now browse FOTMD from their phones or tablets, and having to scroll down through multiple pages (to check the latest post in a long discussion they are participating in) on a phone would be such an immense turnoff to many users that they might not want to remain here at all. So I'm afraid the 'newest posts on top' is the way to go these days... the same order as one finds on mobile device 'feeds' such as facebook, twitter, etc.
Sorry to disappoint you!  shrugger

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 02/01/24 09:48:25AM
Rachel
Rachel
@rachel
3 months ago
6 posts

Hi Nicolas!  I’m new at this myself. I like the idea of the first comment/response being at the top of the thread. There’s a scenario I wonder if the reverse order would be of benefit. Let’s say you’re following a discussion. If you get a notification that there is a new comment in a discussion you’re following, you open the link, I think you’d initially see the title of the discussion and the oldest (first) comment/response, then have to scroll down to see the most recent response. But I think I get what you’re saying. It’s easier to follow a conversation from beginning to end and it’s less likely you’ll miss information. 
I know that doesn’t help your question/comment. Maybe someone knows if there’s a toggle that reorganizes the time line.

updated by @rachel: 02/01/24 07:14:44AM
nicolas_fr
nicolas_fr
@nicolas-fr
3 months ago
4 posts

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new on this great forum and I have not yet figure out how to order replies from a post from oldest to newest. Said differently I would love to be able to see the initial post, then just under it the first reply, then the second reply, and so on.

Today, what I am doing is scroll all the way down to the page (use load more comments if the discussion has a lot of replies) and read from bottom to top.

Did I miss something ?

Have a great day all,

nicolas