Hurricane Helene news?

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 days ago
2,302 posts

It is a tribute to the many folks who are helping and working hard to get assistance to Florida after Hurricane Milton that there have been relatively few deaths, considering the power and destruction of that storm. I also think it's amazing how residents evacuated to safer areas in time to save more lives.
I know we all wish those effected a strong recovery from these terrible weather events.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 days ago
1,148 posts

I'm glad to hear the it went well for you Ken.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 days ago
2,154 posts

Milton came ashore about 85 miles north of us, at Siesta Key in Sarsota.  Nothing here but winds, not much rain.  Lost power for about 15 minutes is all..

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
one week ago
2,154 posts

We're in the Cone Of Uncertainty:

Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
one week ago
244 posts

The news media have heavily reported on the storm damage in the NC mountains, but other southeastern states have suffered as well.

Keep these folks in prayer as well as all of the those who assisting and aiding, paid or volunteers.

Our church has had several members go to the NC mountains. Their first hand reports tell us the damage is 10 times worse when seen in person than any of the images can show on the news. Our church has sent two trucks of commodity items so far and another one is going this coming Tuesday. The mountain people are so resilient and in spite of the damages, losses, and their personal situations generally have an attitude of "we'll get through this together."  

If  you can afford to give I suggest donations to one of the faith based organizations as they have a positive track record of getting goods to those who need it the most.

This is going to be a years long recovery and rebuild, maybe 10 years or more. May we not forget them when the news tires of reporting on this event.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
one week ago
2,302 posts

The destruction from Helene and the subsequent flooding has been horrific. So many of the effected communities are completely isolated because of roads destroyed and all communications and power down. It's a challenge to get the massive amounts of aid needed to people under such devastating conditions- shelter, water, food, power, medical help... my heart goes out to all the families suffering. I read today that some folks are using pack mules to get help to some isolated places.
To now hear of a new hurricane forming and churning its way towards Florida, that's so awful. Is this going to be a hurricane season worse than any other in US history? Let us hope not.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Richard Streib
Richard Streib
@richard-streib
2 weeks ago
244 posts

NC mountains hard hit. Well over 400K people without power, Many are isolated with no means of getting any help due to roads and bridges washed out, no phone or cell or internet service. There are literally thousands of volunteers on the ground and sending needed supplies. 3 churches that I know of in our area in central NC are sending trucks and trailers loaded with needed supplies. Keep these folks and the many helpers lifted in prayer.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
2 weeks ago
2,154 posts

Don Pedi and Lois Hornbostel and their local groups have come through pretty well.  Black Mountain is devastated.  Asheville is still pretty much an island.  Blue Ridge parkway is closed.  Our Traditional builders in Virginia and Tennessee got some nearby flooding but nothing damaging to their homes or families.  

Here on Florida's Gulf Coast, from Tampa north around the Bend to Tallahassee took the brunt of the incoming storm.  Fort Myers where I live had 3-5 ft of storm surge walk up the Caloosahatchee river and spread across the low laying areas, but it drained back out within a few hour on the ebbing tide.  Mostly we had an average Tropical Storm -- winds 40-50, gusting 60+.  Strangely wegot very little rain here...

ocean-daughter
@ocean-daughter
2 weeks ago
46 posts

Hey all,

I was wondering how people may have been affected by the hurricane, particularly in Western North Carolina and East Tennessee.  It occurred to me that quite a few of our dulcimer folk are in those areas.  I remember how Eastern Kentucky was so hard hit by flooding a couple of years ago. 

Does anyone have any news? 

I'm in California, so quite far removed, but I was just looking at news photos of the flooding in Asheville, and my heart aches.