An Embarrassment of Mountain Dulcimers

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
14 minutes ago
1,449 posts

Shopdad, my guess is what you really want to build is a zitter or hummel which people often (mistakenly) call scheitholts. There are two zitters in the photo and I have plans for both of them. You are welcome to them if you are interested. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Shopdad
Shopdad
@shopdad
an hour ago
94 posts

Very impressive. I'm looking forward to the post on the individual stories.

I will be doing a presentation at the airboat meeting Oct. 14th. I will take as many instruments as I can carry. The objective is to stir up some interest and possibly get some new dulcimer players going. 

I mentioned a while back I am interested in building my first Scheitholt. I have seen so many variations I'm a bit confused about what the actual design would be. I believe you sent some plans when I was discussing it and now I see the one you built. It appears to be much longer than I imagined it. I will go back and find the drawings again as I have most of the material to begin. I have some nice cherry and some teak. Now I wonder if the teak will be long enough.  I need to go back and read your post on the Scheitholt again too. 

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 hours ago
1,449 posts

Our son-in-law and two grandsons came to visit yesterday. Our daughter is ill with a cold or seasonal flu so she stayed home. Last night I began showing them my dulcimers. Today we set all of my mountain dulcimers and related instruments in the living room and took a photo. There are 24 instruments in the photo and a least two of them are going home with them. Maybe two more if I can talk both grandsons into taking instruments rather than sharing one with their father.


img

Front row on floor (l to r): Praetorius scheitholt reproduction, dulcimer in a fiddle case.
Middle row (l to r): Musical Traditions dulcimer, Warren May, a dulcimer I made for our daughter, Dulcimer Factory (the Naylors), a modern Prichard I made, J.E. Thomas #1465 (1931), Prichard reproduction, early Folkcraft for the Vermont years by David Marks, a Backyard cardboard dulcimer, a reproduction zitter, a teardrop with flat peghead, a reproduction zitter, the first dulcimer I ever made.
Top row (l to r): travel dulcimer by Dave Lynch, a Sunhearth teardrop, four teardrop dulcimers, a Blue Lion, Randy Adams box dulcimer, Folkcraft all walnut made by Steve Ash. I plan to make a one page description of each instrument.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."


updated by @ken-longfield: 10/04/26 04:25:40PM