experiment with the ukulele group

Lilley Pad
Lilley Pad
@lilley-pad
2 hours ago
104 posts

Well, just an update on my experiment with the ukulele group. What I have noticed it sounds like to me is that my melody string is what I would call, “twang” For lack of a better word. And doesn't quite blend  with the ukulele groups plastic strings they use. I tried strumming at the top of the fretboard top bottom that always gets them mixed up closer towards the nut a little past the 7th fret so down the fretboard to get a deeper sound that didn't quite work. but a little better though. Obviously I'm much more comfortable tuned to Dad so I don't really want to return to a different key and I don't know if that would really make any difference,  what I was thinking is what would happen if I increase the string size of the melody string from 11 to 15 gauge? Somewhere I heard that you can only go up one or two gauges. I'm not sure exactly why. Does it have to do with the sound? or would that have to do with the structure of the instrument, and it would put too much tension on the wood? 

I will say it's definitely an experience playing with the ukulele group. They play those tunes that I would never dream of  trying to play. Like the Monster Mash, Beatles songs, and some song called lazy bones that was another big hit.  They're definitely not big on playing things like Bile them cabbage down, Shady Grove, Old Joe Clark, SMILE. Any ideas how to reduce the “twang" out of the melody string? I think it just may be the nature of the Beast, and it is what it is. I mean they are playing with plastic strings and we use metal strings so? 

If Dusty happens to read this I did get a email from DJ about the baritone Info “Baritone Dulcimer Day”