Native American Flute

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

LOL! Thanks Phil! Smile.gif

phil said:

John Loved the Video. Now I have that tune stuck in my head. But that's ok I like it.Grin.gif

phil
@phil
11 years ago
129 posts

John Loved the Video. Now I have that tune stuck in my head. But that's ok I like it.Grin.gif

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

High Spirits and Dana Ross flutes are usually right in tune with a tuner. We've experimented with some that were okay with other instruments, but just a little off when played with the previously mentioned flutes exclusively.

Garland Coulson said:

Do you run into tuning issues, John?

We find Native American flutes are usually a little out when compared to keyboards and stringed instruments.

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

Do you run into tuning issues, John?

We find Native American flutes are usually a little out when compared to keyboards and stringed instruments.

John Keane
John Keane
@john-keane
11 years ago
182 posts

Dulcimers and Native American flutes go GREAT together! We use them all of the time. We threw in some percussion and didgeridoo for this one:

Shawn McCurdy
Shawn McCurdy
@shawn-mccurdy
11 years ago
12 posts

Ah, those two videos of NA flute are so wonderful. I think I see a flute in my future. Thanks for posting.

phil
@phil
11 years ago
129 posts

Two awesome Videos. After hear the flute and the guitar together I know the flute would sound great along side mt 12-string guitar. I need to look into getting some recording stuff so I can record more than one track.

It this your Web page? http://www.peacefulspiritflutes.com/

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

And here is a video I put together of my wife playing her Native American flute to pictures I took of a renaissance festival.

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

Hi Phil,

Happy to oblige. Here is a live performance at a Native American flute festival in Seattle called Flutequest.

phil
@phil
11 years ago
129 posts

could you get a video of your wife's group playing some time would love to hear them. When it comes to the flute I think you could call mine meditatively too.

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

My wife, Terry Mack, is an amazing Native American flute player. Her guitarist tunes his guitar to his flutes which makes it easier and now more of our musical friends are doing the same because they love the flute music so much.

A group of them just did a big concert as a fundraiser and it turned out great. I play, but usually more meditatively and I don't perform in public much.

phil
@phil
11 years ago
129 posts

Hi Garland,

I play the NA flute myself. Never had anyone to jam with that had to be awesome. I don't even have a flute circle near me. so it's just me and all my instruments.

Lois Sprengnether Keel
Lois Sprengnether Keel
@lois-sprengnether-keel
11 years ago
197 posts

Hi Garland,

I, too, love NA flute. Need to play them more, but love their improvisational style. I'm impressed at your jamming with it. 77.gif Our flute circle tends to improv in related keys and on a rare time or 2 a guitar or other instrument may follow along, but that's as close to jamming as we've tried.

Garland Coulson
Garland Coulson
@garland-coulson
11 years ago
14 posts

For years I didn't think I was musical. My wife seemed to have a natural gift for flute-like instruments so I got her a Native American Flute for Christmas.

IMG_3173-400x294.jpg

It sounded so lovely for her, that I waited till everyone was out of the house one day and picked up the Native American flute so see if it might sing for me. To my surprise it did.

I have played for a few years now and really enjoy it. My preferred way to play it is to go out into the woods and play meditatively.

But last night I went over to our friends place. There were a lot of very talented people there with lots of guitars and various percussion choices.

The jamming was fantastic. At one point, I had a friend start a simple beat on the cajon and I started playing my flute and we got really going and suddenly all these guitars came in and it was magical!

The mountain dulcimer is new to me but it seems to have similar intuitiveness to the Native American flute so I am hopeful I will one day have a similar experience with the mountain dulcimer.

updated by @garland-coulson: 08/01/23 01:08:43PM