Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
11 years ago
2,255 posts

I'd love to hear some sound clips of you guys playing your whistles, if you ever care to post them here...

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
11 years ago
252 posts
Bill, The Dixon is a quiet whistle at least on low D, E & F#, pushing for volume breaks into the octave. With most whistles that's a good thing, but not here. I use mine just to play alone, so volume doesn't matter. C&F has some really great whistlers. They are to whistles what FOTMD. is to the dulcimer... Best of luck... Bob
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
11 years ago
252 posts
I have Dixon low D. I use the pipers grip but I use my pinky finger on the first hole. One of the best things I did was to add a thumb rest just below the third hole. This gives me a reference point for perfect right hand placement... Bob
Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
12 years ago
31 posts

Geesh, Bill, looks like you're a whistle junkie as much as I am a dulcimer junkie. I have to admit, since I'm very much a learner on dulcimer, I haven't been paying as much attention to my whistles as I ought. I'm sure my Dixon will shriek in protest the next time I pick it up. Ahhh, so many instruments, so little time (and I'm retired, so I don't know where the working folks find time to play).

Ivan Bradley
Ivan Bradley
@ivan-bradley
12 years ago
31 posts

Bill, I have a Tony Dixon low D. My problem with switching from the high whistle to the low one was definitely too much breath rather than not enough. It's very easy to overblow the low whistle and get into the higher octave (if you're lucky) or get a horrible screech or squawk.

Enjoy your low D. I love the sound of mine.

Susie
Susie
@susie
12 years ago
500 posts

Bill,

I just picked up a Susato high D. I've heard there's a big difference. Don't give up. Some time real soon it will probably click for you, just like it seems to do with everything we try. You'll do fine.

Skip
Skip
@skip
12 years ago
359 posts

Well, take a deep breath,,,,,,,,,,,

then remember how you did it.Grin.gif