Using Metronome apps

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

People get nervous and distracted when recording themselves, and might speed up or slow down without realizing it. A metronome program can help during recording, especially if you can set it to light blinks only... so you don't wind up recording the sound of the metronome as well!  faceplant

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

I use something called Metronome Beats.  It can be programmed in any number of ways. I particularly like the visual display options.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Stephen Seifert
Stephen Seifert
@stephen-seifert
6 years ago
22 posts

I love TIME GURU. According to your settings, it can randomly mute some of the metronome clicks which trains you to maintain your own pulse.

dulcinina
@dulcinina
6 years ago
87 posts

Thanks for the recommendations.  I'll look into those.  Our local music store didn't have any electronic metronomes. So for now I'll try the apps.

Robin Clark
Robin Clark
@robin-clark
6 years ago
239 posts

I'm using Soundbrenner on an Android phone at present (just the free app not the gadgets that can go with it).  It is OK and easy to use.

Most importantly, I searched for one with a 'tap' button - and I use that all the time to set the speed.  It means I can hum a tune and easily tap in exactly the speed I want to play it at.

Pondoro
Pondoro
@pondoro
6 years ago
34 posts

I use two. Both free. MetroTimer and Pro Metronome. Why two? Because I am lazy. The MetroTimer is always left in 4/4, Pro Metronome is always left in 6/8. I play a lot of Irish music but it takes several keystrokes to convert either metronome from 4/4 to 6/8. If you really want to use just one Pro Metronome seems easier to adjust and set up. I often convert it to 9/8 for slip jigs and hop jigs. I may simply think it is easier because I change it more. MetroTimer has been in 4/4 from day one.

MertoTimer has an easier timing function, if you want to set it for two minutes or three minutes or whatever. That might be more useful for a drummer. Pro Metronome does have a timer and it works, it simply takes a couple more keystrokes to invoke it.

updated by @pondoro: 11/02/18 09:15:38PM
dulcinina
@dulcinina
6 years ago
87 posts

Do you use a metronome app on your phone or an online metronome?  What do you recommend? Dulcinina