Just got the bottom to glue on yet. Don't anticipate any problem with that. I don't like top sound holes as they're too large, but Folkcraft has some Celtic rosettes that might work to cover the large holes. We'll see I guess. Live n' learn.
Folkcraft comes through!
Oops! My bad. The instructions DID say something about not putting a nail in the strum channel. I Need to pay better attention to things. Stay tuned for further developments. ( The top has been glued to the sides, and weighted down with several books. 2 hour minimum drying time. )
I'm getting quite frustrated with this project. At first I was going to make the sound holes in the upper bout the size of a nickle, but then decided to go to the maximum quarter size. Bad idea. I drilled the hole out (badly) with a series of small holes, and wound up having to sand it quite a bit to make it more round. The holes are now too big! I decided to can the idea for a fish shaped lower sound hole, and just drilled a larger hole, and two smaller ones in line.
Next I set up to assemble the top, with the nails provided. The instructions said to use a small drill hole to make putting the nails in easier. That didn't work very well. Also, I drilled a hole all the way through the strum channel. The instructions didn't warn me about this.
It will get done eventually, but probably won't be as nice as anticipated. So much for living room construction.
Brian, it's okay. You're doing fine. I made a couple of boo boos when putting together my cardboard dulcimer. The biggest boo boo (poor decision) was using decoupage to affix the hummingbird cutouts. It became a sloppy mess and made the paint finish not look as shiny. If I ever make another one I am not going to decoupage cutouts. I would rather just have the paint. Although some have told me the color scheme looks too much like a certain canned meat product It's supposed to be WV colors Hang in there. Post pictures when you can
I messed up big this morning starting out. Step 1: gluing the heel cap to the tail block. Had it glued, waited two hours, and guess what? The wood grain on the heel cap was going the wrong way! So I soaked it in hot water for about an hour, used a chisel to pry them away from each other, then got started over again. All told, about 3 hours lost, that could have been put to more productive use.
Since then, I've gotten the sides glued , and things are looking promising.
Kenneth W. Longfield said:
Great news Brian. If you need any help as you work on your kit, let us know. I, too, have built a couple of their kits.
"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."
I hear their kits are excellent, so I would assume their building instructions are great also. I really don't anticipate any problems, as I've already checked the postings for dulcimer building. It's gonna be fun!
I'm actually stunned that their deliveries are so fast, ( as advertised ). Seems like that with most places I order through the mail generally have about a six week waiting period, if not longer. Kudos to you Folkcraft. I bet the quality will be as good as everyone says it is too!
So happy for you, Brian! I am anxious to see how this one turns out--and, yes, we will be wanting a sound clip or video!
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
I just got a confirmation email, that my black walnut traditional hourglass dulcimer kit should arrive by June 5th, if not sooner! I am so excited about this. It will be a dream come true. That is something that hasn't happened in a long while. I will keep you informed, as my project progresses.
updated by @brian-beach: 03/03/19 07:40:54AM