One and One Half Fret

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
10 years ago
420 posts

Well, I don't have any instruments with 1 1/2 frets and don't plan on getting any. I think it's at best a compromise between a diatonic and chromatic. It also gets in my way. Perhaps I'd get used to it if I had one for some time, but I don't think that's in the cards for me right now. I understand why people get them and its use, but, to ME (stressing the me because other opinions are valid here,) I don't want one. I'm playing instruments without 6 1/2 frets more and more lately and playing in more tunings than usual. Just my 2 centavos

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
10 years ago
1,726 posts

Why not put on a temporary 1-1/2 fret and see how you like it? Get a paper clip and some tape and put it on, then play around with it. As others have said, there are some extra chords you can get with that fret, like a C chord (in DAD) down near the nut. But I like that extra fret most for playing blues. You get the lowered third and the lowered seventh right there, making the blues easy on the dulcimer.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
10 years ago
252 posts
Although I built four dulcimers with 1.5 fret years ago to fill a need. Today I never play them and I dont miss the fret. Whenever Im playing a lightning fast fiddle tune that fits into the traditional diatonic scale, I use my traditional diatonic model without any + frets and don't worry about fumbling on the + frets... Bob.
Guy Babusek
Guy Babusek
@guy-babusek
10 years ago
96 posts

I like the 1 1/2 fret on my baritone. I like using the baritone to harmonize with the standard. This allows me to use a 1-5-8 tuning and still be able to play in the same key as the standard, i.e. Standard: c-g-c and baritone: g-d-g.

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
10 years ago
74 posts

Michael, when are you leaving to go to McSpadden? I'm getting a baritone with the 11/2 and 81/2, possibly tomorrow. After I get my hands on one, I'll let you know if I find it troublesome. At this point I want it and was thrilled to find this baritone was made that way. I do think it will be handy for the minor modes. However, to keep things simple, I've been using a capo a lot on the stick and loving all the different keys I can get. Besides, don't you think you're going to need another trip next year to each get one with the 11/2?24.gif If one is good, two is better, right?41.gif . Anyway, can't wait to see what you two come home with.117.gif

Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
10 years ago
25 posts

You're welcome, Michael. I'd love to be able to have a 1 1/2 fret at this stage in my playing, but I would need a smaller fret scale instrument.

Linda

www.cabinhillmusic.com

Michael Ebersohl
Michael Ebersohl
@michael-ebersohl
10 years ago
4 posts
Very good observation. Thank you. I've pretty decided at present that it's a feature I can live without.
Linda W. Collins
Linda W. Collins
@linda-w-collins
10 years ago
25 posts

One thing to consider about whether to add a 1 1/2 fret is where your fingers land when you play the 1-2-4 A chord. If, like me, your index finger lands in the middle of the 2nd fret space (just where the 1 1/2 fret would be), adding the 1 1/2 fret could be problematic. Janita Baker of Blue Lion pointed that out to me.

LInda

cabinhillmusic.com

Skip
Skip
@skip
10 years ago
359 posts

About $25 - $50-60. Smile.gif

I've got them on all but one. But then again all but one are chromatic.Grin.gif

You can 'bend' a note to get the + fret sound, bend the 4, get 4+, etc. It's just hard to bend close to the nut, at least it is for me. Of course it's really hard to bend a note in N/D style of play.Frown.gif

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
10 years ago
252 posts
I built four dulcimers with 1.5 fret. In DAD it gives you added range for many Appalachian minor key tunes. I call it the mountain minor fret. Think, kitchen girl, cold frosty morning, yew piney mountain...Bob
Michael Ebersohl
Michael Ebersohl
@michael-ebersohl
10 years ago
4 posts

I continue to hear about 1 and 1/2 frets on dulcimers. My older dulcimers do not have this feature, though both have the 6.5 fret. Just wondering if this is a coveted feature on a new dulcimer. Since I am likely going to purchase a McSpadden, is this an available feature? Thanks in advance for the information.

updated by @michael-ebersohl: 07/31/23 08:53:16PM