New Possum Board

Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
9 years ago
36 posts

Thanks Robert and Ken - I am checking out my options now to see if I should make or buy one!

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

This is a lovely possum board indeed, and really suits Robert's dulcimers. It did not fit any others I have, so guess you'd have to send him the right measurements.

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Thanks everyone for your comments. I build and sell mountain dulcimers and thought it would be nice to offer a possum board to fit my instruments. I mostly play off a table top and use the possum board to keep the dulcimer off the table. Makes a fancy way to display them as well. I used to use scrap wood sticks to support the dulcimer but  a possum board looks and sounds much better.

It generally does not slip around on my lap. On my newer models I added two holes to attach a strap. I play up to the last fret so I need a board that can be shifted left and right real fast. Gale, I would be happy to make one for you, I charge $35.00 plus shipping. But Kens point about building your own is a good idea if you got the time... Robert. 

Ginney Camden
Ginney Camden
@ginney-camden
9 years ago
4 posts

Oh, got it.

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Sitting a lot may cause poor circulation and weight gain. Hence the standing or treadmill desk craze. I sit at my desk all day at work, so I find I just need to stand sometimes. 

Ginney Camden
Ginney Camden
@ginney-camden
9 years ago
4 posts

Why is standing better for your health?

Sheryl St. Clare
Sheryl St. Clare
@sheryl-st-clare
9 years ago
259 posts

Last night while playing on the screened porch table and competing with the cicadas for sound, I discovered that two coasters turned upside down (cork up) worked pretty well as a way to increase the volume, and protect the back of my dulcimer. That is if you like to play while standing, which is better for your health. You can stack several coasters to see if you like the sound better. They don’t slide because of the cork backing. If you still want to make a possum board, this will help you decide how high you want your dulcimer to rest on the board. That said, that’s a beautiful board Robert, and I wouldn’t turn it down. You can only stand for so long. 

Ginney Camden
Ginney Camden
@ginney-camden
9 years ago
4 posts

How do you keep it from sliding off your lap?

Jim Fawcett
Jim Fawcett
@jim-fawcett
9 years ago
85 posts

Nice looking boards there, Bob.

--
Site Moderator
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,123 posts

Gale -- A few dulcimer builders here are making and sellin possum boards, and I'm sure they'll chime in soon.  You can actually make one really easily by buying a "craft wood" plank of poplar from Home Depot or Lowe's that's 3 ft long and 6" or so wide.  You also need a piece of dowel (square is best) to glue across the board a litle closer together than Robert has his 'bridges'. A couple rubber bands will hold the dulcimer in place...

Gale A Barr
Gale A Barr
@gale-a-barr
9 years ago
36 posts

That is beautiful! Where is the best place to purchase one? Not sure if I have time to make one.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Very nicely done Robert, my butternut would work great, ya think.thumbsup

robert schuler
robert schuler
@robert-schuler
9 years ago
252 posts

Almost half the volume and tone of a dulcimer comes from its back. Raising the instrument just a millimeter off your lap or table top is all you need to do. I wanted to design a possum board that not only evevated the instrument but reflects the sound up and away. The model pictured here with a new butternut dulcimer I completed yesterday elevated the instrument about an inch. Its made of solid core cabinet grade birch plywood. finished with a mix of walnut oil stain and red dyed shellac and lacquer. Once you try a possum board you will never want to be without one... Robert

updated by @robert-schuler: 06/21/15 01:31:01PM