Dulcimer shops near Asheville NC?

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
400 posts

Marg, if you have the time, you can easily spend several HOURS at Song of the Wood, playing all the different dulcimers that are hung on hooks around the room. It's just a short jump off I-40 and well worth the visit!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Thanks Annie, can't wait till I can be there. This coming Friday or Saturday maybe

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Hi Marg, nothing more to add - just can't say enough about the folks at Song of the Wood. So welcoming, Jo Ann encouraged me to play. Very interesting shop! I notice Black Mountain has a music festival in October that is mainly ducimers (see events list here) it would be delightful to go- if only it was  a bit closer to me...

Enjoy Black Mountain! Be sure to leave time for lunch, coffee, other shopping.

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

annie,

I will be traveling to Asheville, NC in a few days. I plan on going to Black Mt.  to see and play or hear a few of their dulcimers. Any other comments you have on the shop or the town would be most helpful.

thanks

marg

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

A week ago today I was on the way to Asheville and we stopped in Black Mountain,as planned.

What a cool little town! Delicious Thai food in a restaurant there, plus lots of little shops and coffee places.

Went to Song of the Wood, where Jo Ann Smith was most welcoming! Got to play both a Folkcraft and a MCSpadden. I didn't stay too long, as was with other people, and the place was BUSY! People in the Appalachian dulcimer corner, playing when I arrived, and another lady took over my chair as soon as I finished. If I could do it over, I 'd take advantage of the chance to play more McSpaddens in different wood combinations. (duh). Lots of hammered dulcimers and psaltries, too.

Did visit Acoustic Corner, but they only had a display dulcimer made with 4 different woods. Tom Fellenbaum, they told me, only builds custom at this time.

Anyway, it was a great time. Thanks to all for your help.

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

I clicked on their FB page and that is current up to date but I see their web is '13 

https://www.facebook.com/Dulcimerville-287290135810/

updated by @marg: 02/08/16 04:35:49PM
Dan Goad
Dan Goad
@dan-goad
8 years ago
155 posts

Marg, the link you posted if dated 2013.  Dulcimerville was a festival organized by Lois Hornbostel and others.  I believe that they ceased doing Dulcimerville after the 2013 event.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,088 posts

Dulcimerville was a week long festival run by Lois Hornbostel. It was held a YMCA camp near Black Mountain but is not longer held. I think Lois was going to do a weekend festival or two under that name. The website you linked to mentions dates in 2013. If you do get to Black Mountain visit both shops listed above.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

Does anyone know if anyone can visit Dulcimerville or is it just for classes?

http://www.dulcimerville.com/special-features/

They have some type of market place and sell dulcimers and supplies and are right in the same area as the two other locations you gave above.  It is in Black Mt. also 2 miles off of 40, but before 9 where the other two are.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Ah!  I wondered why there were two addesses I found for Native Ground.  Thanx Steve.  Did I miss anyone?

Steve Smith
Steve Smith
@steve-smith
8 years ago
32 posts

Ken Hulme:
Here's the shops I know of in that general area. Native Ground Music -- 109 Bell Road, Asheville, NC 28805-1521...

That's just Wayne Erbsen's house - there isn't a store there, and he doesn't sell dulcimers, anyway.  But the others are good.  Have fun, Annie!

Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Thanks, Ken. You are always so quick to help! I know for sure we are passing through Black Mountain, so that's good. A.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

Here's the shops I know of in that general area.

Native Ground Music -- 109 Bell Road, Asheville, NC 28805-1521 - 828-299-7031

Song of the Wood  --  203 W State St Black Mountain, NC 28711 - 828-669-7675

Fellenbaum Stringed Instruments at Acoustic Corner - 105-F Montreat Road - Black Mountain, NC 28711 - 828-669-5162

High Country Dulcimers --  8830 NC Hwy 105 South  Boone, NC 28607 - 828-963-TUNE (8863)

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/06/16 03:03:37PM
Annie Deeley
Annie Deeley
@annie-deeley
8 years ago
49 posts

Going to visit NC next week. Please suggest shops/builders I could visit in this dulcimer heartland?Thanks!