Capritaurus Dulcimer - Oh My!

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,425 posts

It is a cool-looking dulcimer and probably has a sound to match yet the asking price does seem steep.  

Strumelia mentioned vintage Lapidus dulcimers being in a different universe. . . From the few instruments  I've seen from her (vintage or no), I understand her statement.  (On JLapidus's latest recording, her Pelican dulcimer sounds so good!) 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
2,252 posts

Vintage Lapidus dulcimers can sell for 3 to $4,000, but that's a whole different universe. 

I think this dulcimer on MandoCafe would more realistically sell for half its asking price.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 11/20/18 06:21:54PM
Lisa Golladay
Lisa Golladay
@lisa-golladay
6 years ago
108 posts

Never hurts to ask.  Besides, won't mandolin players pay any price for an instrument?  Heheehee

That sure is a nice-looking dulcimer, though.  I wouldn't mind if a clerical error put it on my doorstep this Christmas.  I sometimes wonder if we MD players sell our instruments (and ourselves) short.  I know we're a smaller market, but asking $2 grand for a vintage handmade guitar or even an ukulele is not at all unusual.

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
6 years ago
1,727 posts

"Oh my" is not my reaction to that price. My first thought was "no &^R#ing way!"

I like Howard and his dulcimers as well, but I've never seen a price even close to that for a Capritaurus.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,083 posts

I found this  listed  Capritaurus dulcimer for sale at Mandolin Cafe. I like the work that Howard Rugg does in building dulcimers, but I wonder if this is a realistic price.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."