Joni Mitchell's song "River"...

Alegre1
Alegre1
@alegre1
2 years ago
30 posts

Strumelia:

One of the saddest 'Christmas' songs ever written. Joni's "River" is about regrets of a lost love. She says it's about sadness or loneliness around Christmas time.

Joni is a recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors this year. 
Her song River (which was on her Blue album) has just had a wonderful new animation film created to accompany it:

https://youtu.be/OLHxxBTl71I 

Thank you so much for posting this music video ... "River" is new to me. It's never ceases to amaze me that she was so young when she wrote music that could move so deeply and stand the test of time.  

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
2 years ago
28 posts

I've always loved this song - haven't we all had moments in our lives where we just want to skate away? Has anyone ever played this on the dulcimer?

Tricia
Tricia
@tricia
2 years ago
6 posts

Thank you for sharing the film for this long time favourite song. It does go well with it, doesn't it ? Such a beautiful and melancholy song. 

Ballad Gal
Ballad Gal
@ballad-gal
3 years ago
34 posts

I, too, enjoyed the video and found it a good pairing with the song. Thanks for posting it. I've got 5 of her albums and love them all.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,073 posts

I enjoyed the video and think it expresses the song very well. Thank you for sharing it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
3 years ago
1,720 posts

It's a tastefully done video. My daughter and I watched it together a few times yesterday.  We both appreciate how it moves to the exact beat of the song, doesn't try to do too much by adding meaning that is not there in the audio, and how it captures the sad tenor of the lyrics.  It's so nice.

My understanding is that Graham Nash had proposed to her and she declined ("I made my baby cry") leading to an end to their relationship ("I made my baby say 'Goodbye.").

Several songs on the Blue album are just so honest and personal.  It feels a little awkward to know those emotional details about someone I've never met.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 12/24/21 06:24:25PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,248 posts

One of the saddest 'Christmas' songs ever written. Joni's "River" is about regrets of a lost love. She says it's about sadness or loneliness around Christmas time.

Joni is a recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors this year. 
Her song River (which was on her Blue album) has just had a wonderful new animation film created to accompany it:

https://youtu.be/OLHxxBTl71I 

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990