Archive of original Everything Dulcimer??

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
last year
2,252 posts

Ken, I assume you mean Richard Latker.

Richard is a member of FOTMD: @pristine2
Though he has not recently been active on this site, he might respond if you send him a private message here.

I seem to recall that Bruce Ford mentioned that he would not be saving or archiving the vast discussion forums of ED. I do recall reading Bruce's post about that and thinking Well that's a shame to lose all those years of discussion, but perhaps it's for the best anyway.  I believe what was archived and made available were the Tab section, the Festivals section, and the Articles.
In any case, I think one would need a forum or php software framework and a hosted site in which to actually import/read/interpret an archived php forum. It's not like a text file that you can just open and read.

Dusty is right that you might try the internet Archive. However, it will be limited in terms of 'drilling down' into discussions from the past. You might not be able to get to all the replies or be able to search it the same way as a regular website. It won't function the same way as a real original forum.

Hope this helps.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,727 posts

Ken, here is the FOTMD discusssion about ED shutting down . At least two people there mention downloading the entire content that Bruce made available at the time.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
last year
1,727 posts

Have you tried the Wayback Machine, Ken?  I am not sure how to use it, but it is available through the Internet Archive and maintains copies of old websites going back many years.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
last year
2,123 posts

HELP!!  I just has someone asking me to help find a post by Richard Lattimer on Everything Dulcimer. .  Of course the link she had didn't work because the discussion was on the original ED and the link was a dead end.  

I know there were two or three folks who made copies of all if the contents of ED (not just the Tab files) as archives of all the wonderful discussions we had, but I remember who they were, and can't find where I put those links...  Anybody??