Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
14 years ago
1,729 posts
I bought several Intelli Chromatic IMT-500 clip-on tuners fairly cheaply off Ebay and am happy with them. Hunter is correct that if they have trouble picking up a note, they don't with the harmonic. I find with my guitar it can almost never pick up the low E string, but it has no trouble with the harmonic.I used to use a Sabine tuner but never bought the pick-up attachment, so I needed silence to tune. It works great if you are plugged in, for you can just put in in between two chords and follow the lights even while playing. But for acoustic instruments it really didn't function too well.I doubt, however, these cheap little clip-ons are as accurate as the more expensive Korg. It would be nice if Consumer Reports or someone would do a comparison for us.D.T. Hunter Walker said:
I found this too, however, it works like a charm if you use a harmonic.

David Swanson said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the little Intelli or Tune Tech clip-on tuners that seem so popular. I have a TT500 and while I prefer my Korg, the TuneTech is very convenient. The Korg works great but the cord is a pain. The display on the TT seems to be slower, and for some reason it is less sensitive to the A string than either D strings (tuned DAdd).

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
14 years ago
59 posts
I really really like my little Profile PT-2700 . Just works. Can work in either clip or microphone mode, and is adjustable in what it considers an A, but it's really simple to use.
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
14 years ago
242 posts
I like the jokes idea! A little humorous banter with the audience is a good thing.Paul
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,126 posts
Is DJ so slippery that you feel you've got to clip something to her to get her in tune?Grin.gif The Korg CA-30 has an accessory clip-on. The GA 30 has trouble because it's made for the dynamics of the guitar rather than a range of smaller instruments.
B. Ross Ashley
B. Ross Ashley
@b-ross-ashley
15 years ago
59 posts
I'm using a Profile PT-2700; works fine for me. It has variable pitch, although I keep it at A4=440. It has a piezo sensor and a built-in mike, both pretty good; and clips on to the tuning head or a peg head, just fine. Invaluable to a newbie experimenting with all the different tunings available.
Guy Babusek
Guy Babusek
@guy-babusek
15 years ago
96 posts
Anything I can do to help!!;-) Deborah "DJ" Hamouris said:
Ahhh, Tuning pegs! I didn't think of that! I've been clipping my little contact tuner on any piece of real estate that would hold it, and all the time the pegs were right there!
Thanks, Guy.
Guy Babusek
Guy Babusek
@guy-babusek
15 years ago
96 posts
I also really like the Korg CA-30 or CA-40 tuners with the pickup clip. You clip the pickup onto one of your tuning pegs... I use this also on my harp. Korg tuners IMO have the very best calibration of the ones I've tried.
Bill Lewis
Bill Lewis
@bill-lewis
15 years ago
48 posts
I have a Korg TM40 Digital Tuner Metronome. Is this a good one? I'll pick up a clip on tuner from Peterson soon. Looks like a neat product.Bill
Rod Westerfield
Rod Westerfield
@rod-westerfield
15 years ago
109 posts
I also prefer a Korg CA-30, I then use a signal/flex sf20 guitar tuner pickup with it, this is a suction cup pickup. I never really press it down, just use to isolate when tuning my dulcimer... I have tried several other tuners and have went back to the Korg ...
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
15 years ago
2,126 posts
I though Korg made a clip-on attachment for the CA-30 or CA-40. I prefer my Korg CA-30. This is my second one...