I hear a whine when taking finger off strings

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,252 posts

Lol John...!

Hoosier, it could be that although your action is not too low, maybe your strings are slack enough in your particular tuning to create whisper-fine vibration noises against the frets once released.  Try putting a one-step heavier gauge string on.  That would tighten the tension a hair and keep the string from vibrating so freely when you remove your finger.  This could completely solve your problem- just a slightly heavier set of strings.

Also- are you fretting and unfretting your fingers at a fairly straight down angle?  If you fret from the 'side' (like keyboard typing) then you could be very slightly pulling the string when removing your finger, causing that unnecessary vibration.  Check the angle of your fretting fingers here .

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

john warren:

wow, a whine when you take your fingers off the strings? my wife whines when she see's my putting my fingers on the strings,,,,go figure

John, my husband is a novice level player and he totally cracked up at your comment!  Thanks for giving him such a good laugh!  (And no, I don't whine when he plays!)

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

Give me a call and we'll get together.  That way I can both see and hear what's going on and help you fix it.

HoosierInFL
HoosierInFL
@hoosierinfl
8 years ago
5 posts

Both do not have a zero fret. The nut looks correct. The action passes the nickel and dime tests. I am fretting in the correct locations. 

The sound occurs as I am lifting my finger off the string. It's as if the vibration against the fret causes the noise as pressure on the string lessens. 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,123 posts

If the strings are sitting properly in the nut and bridge notches, look at where you are fretting.  You can get a sort of whine if you are not fretting close to the appropriate fret but in the middle of the space.

Matt Berg
Matt Berg
@matt-berg
8 years ago
93 posts

Do you know if your dulcimer has a zero fret or a nut?  If it has a nut, I would check to see if the nut is properly adjusted.

HoosierInFL
HoosierInFL
@hoosierinfl
8 years ago
5 posts

Both of my dulcimers do this. For example, let's say I'm fretting the melody strings at #7. When I lift my finger to move to the next note, I hear a sound that I can only describe as a whine. It's not very noticeable on faster songs, but it ruins a song like Silent Night.

I'm what you'd call an advanced beginner. I can play a number of tunes, can fret with multiple fingers, etc. I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if there's something wrong with both dulcimers, or if it's normal. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

updated by @hoosierinfl: 02/20/20 11:15:59AM