Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,719 posts

Folks might be interested in the free pdf book Be Different: Play the Kantele by FOTMD member @Peter-W.  Peter makes and plays the instrument.  (And in the interests of full disclosure I should say he asked me to do some copyediting at the very end stages of the writing process.)

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 08/15/19 08:21:26PM
Terry Wilson
Terry Wilson
@terry-wilson
5 years ago
297 posts
Hi Cynthia

I love your kantele....sounds wonderful. Good to know you are still challenging yourself learning new instruments.

When I think of you, I always think of , "The old church yard."

Still one of my favorite songs. I quit playing music with the song. Now I "talk/sing" the beautiful song.

Thanks a million times over.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
5 years ago
2,247 posts

Hey i stumbled on this auction of a kantele on Ebay, and it looks pretty nice, at a good price, thought I'd share it here in case anyone is interested (i have no connection to the auction).  In the auction it's described as a 'dulcimer', btw.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264403850737?ul_noapp=true

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Thank you Lexie, I'm so glad Lynn Austin is building these now.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Excellent, I love the sounds of your Kantele Cynthia. It is nice to have all three songs in one place.Smile.gif

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Vermont Kantele Maker

Just as I thought, Lynn Austin of southern Vermont has a new 5 string kantele up on ebay for sale, her second one. I knew she wouldn't be able to resist making them. And it's a beauty, for all of you who want to enter this wonderful world.

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Thanks Lynn, I couldn't have done it without you. There are tunes here, so I'm wondering whether it's the bells or the old Finnish tune you're talking about...wait until you hear Supplication with improv. and...I'm thinking soundholes...cross with thorns maybe?

Lynn austin
Lynn austin
@lynn-austin
9 years ago
19 posts
Cynthia, I don't know how I missed this post earlier. That was lovely!!!...I find that tune mesmerizing....
Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Aw shucks Patty thanks, I do work hard at things though...sure am loving that instrument though.

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Steph thank you, I sort of did this one so people thinking about it can hear what you can do with the 5-string. It is not tab, it's music, but not so hard to learn 5 notes if those who can't read music. Lani's first book teaches that and she has several, so for those who don't play by ear, you'd have plenty of music. She seems to be the only one writing books for it.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Cynthia, you are very talented. I love it that you are showing us the kantele. It's a beautiful sounding instrument. Wunderbar!!!Smile.gif

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Thank you Lexie, that is the song that bewitched me first, and now playing that simple 5 note song, I'm even more convinced there's a lot of magic in that strange instrument...I think you might just have some fun with a 5 string. I may actually learn to make them. Never know...

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Cynthia, I loved that song, very pretty to hear the bells.

You are really going on that Kantele and love hearing you play.41.gif Keep em coming!113.gif

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Here's s sweet Finnish folk tune trad. played on 5 string kantele, which I'm playing on my 10 string as I don't have a 5. This is something not so do-able on a noter/drone dulcimer!

Supplication (Sacred Harp)

and my first song played a couple of days after I got it:

I'm having fun with my 10 string kit from Musicmakers made by Lynn Austin.

updated by @cynthia-wigington: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM