Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
6 years ago
77 posts

Thanks everyone for the responses! The bobbin is a bit longer than my usual noter, so it took a little getting used to especially on the higher frets. All in all a successful experiment!

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
6 years ago
207 posts

Wood Quills or Quill Bobbins are readily available on places like Ebay.......and they are dirt cheap.  When I worked for a textile company during the summers during undergraduate school we threw thousands of them away because the company had changed over to paper quills.   Those wooden quills screw/or slide into the the right side center gap of the wooden shuttle with the thread/yarn wound around them.  Most I saw were made of oak or some other type hard wood.  I'll bet they would indeed make excellent noters, especially if one side was sanded flat..........great idea Charles.......Bravo!

updated by @salt-springs: 01/08/18 09:12:28AM
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
6 years ago
167 posts

yep, I'm also a weaver, and yep, that a bobbin and it looks cool to use as a noter.  aloha, irene

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
6 years ago
1,425 posts

Charles, that's just cool. 

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
6 years ago
77 posts

Thanks, Ken L !

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
6 years ago
1,083 posts

Yes, that is a bobbin. A spool of thread would have been put on that and then then run through the loom.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
6 years ago
77 posts

Whatever it is, it works great! It's made from some very hard wood and the weight at the end helps.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
6 years ago
2,123 posts

Should be a great noter, that's for sure!  

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas
@charles-thomas
6 years ago
77 posts

I'm trying this out as a noter. I know it's old (100+ years) and I think it may be part of an old loom, maybe a bobbin. Anyone have any other guesses?

IMG_1923.jpg
IMG_1923.jpg  •  86KB

updated by @charles-thomas: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM