Creating a new group

Don B
Don B
@don-b
4 years ago
9 posts

Thank you - but I do not do face book at all.

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,246 posts

The state-focused groups here on FOTMD don't get a whole lot of activity, as Dusty said. Especially for states with few and far players and gatherings.

Groups such as the Beginners Group and the Builders Group do have regular activity, and of course our discussion forums and video/audio sections are pretty popular.
We have thousands of discussions here on FOTMD on various interests, so using the Search function can bring up all kinds of site items both recent and older that might be of special interest to an individual.  Try searches for "dog", "feather quill", "TMB", "groundhog", "Farina", "cajun", "Spring" or other words or terms you are curious about...and be prepared to discover some fascinating nooks and crannies of the site. There's a whole lot to see here and enjoy, but it's not all laid out right on the main page.  nerd2  

Facebook dulcimer pages never have old posts- posts are made each day and then sink down out of sight and disappear. So if one prefers to see new posts only, joining or creating a FB group might be another good option to look into.  

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Don B
Don B
@don-b
4 years ago
9 posts

Dusty, I am in Londonderry NH originally from Wakefield and Tewksbury Massachusetts and I too drove delivery vehicles when I also had less belly and more hair

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

I don't think the State groups here have ever had much activity; I've followed a couple of them.  Periodically someone will post a general Thread asking if anyone is from XX or YY, and that seems to work as well as any way to find others.  

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

Yes, it is discouraging. I feel the same way about the California group.  The regional groups in general have little activity.  However, if you post something there the members will probably get an alert, so it's worth a try.  Over time you'll find that there is lots of activity here in other places, especially the Beginner Group and the General Mountain Dulcimer Forum. And hopefully you'll start to notice people who are not far from you.

By the way, where in NH are you? I went to high school in Boston and drove a delivery truck for a few years throughout eastern New England. I had one regular NH day each month.  Of course, that was a long time ago, when I had more hair and less belly. oldman

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Don B
Don B
@don-b
4 years ago
9 posts

Dusty, I looked at the Northeastern group and there is very little activity there and is is not current. This whole site seems to have a lot of old posts and perhaps this is what leads to little activity. Perhaps I am wrong but from what I am seeing it is a little discouraging

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,720 posts

@Don-B, I would also encourage you to join the Northeastern US Group and post a discussion looking for folks from NH.  I am a member of the California Group, and you would think a state as big as ours would have lots of activity.  But I have to confess once I posted to alert everyone to an annual event and found that the last post was mine from a year earlier doing the same thing!  

The groups often get started with the best of intentions but then interest sags.  Most of us find our interests in a few of the biggest groups and some Forum discussions, and the proliferation of groups merely makes it harder to find materials later.  It fact, it might be time for us to cull the proverbial herd of Groups here.

In the meantime, you might try to contact Paddiwhack , a couple from southern New Hampshire (Manchester, perhaps) that plays dulcimer-centric music.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 03/18/20 10:29:23PM
Don B
Don B
@don-b
4 years ago
9 posts

Thank you for your response. The main reason was to find players in Nh in hopes of finding local dulcimer players

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
4 years ago
2,246 posts

Greetings Don, and welcome to the site.   :)

Over the years, there have been a few groups dedicated to players in states that don't have a whole lot of dulcimer players who are active on the internet. After a couple years of no activity whatsoever in some groups, I sometimes delete them. That's in order to make the main Group list a little easier for people to visually sort through.
I'm thinking that a group specific to NH is not going to have much activity (I say this from prior  experience). I'd suggest that you join our NorthEastern US regional Group:
https://fotmd.com/strumelia/group/2/northeastern-us-dulcimer-players
and start some posts or discussions there if you like.
Or perhaps better yet, simply join groups that have subjects you are interested in about playing styles or types of dulcimers (fingerpicking, stick dulcimers, dulcimer traditions, modern playing styles, dulcimer building, etc). There are groups that focus on all kinds of great dulcimer interests!

Thanks Don, and I hope you'll enjoy it here.  music

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
UserNo4
UserNo4
@userno4
4 years ago
30 posts

Interesting idea. I wonder if there's enough interest to make it worthwhile. That's probably a decision for the site owner.

Don B
Don B
@don-b
4 years ago
9 posts

I want to create a group specific for dulcimer players in the state that I LIVE IN..

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
4 years ago
2,111 posts

Whew!   I'm just a member here.  But with 54 Groups already, I thought dang near every subject was covered.  What Group are your interested in creating Don B?  

IIRC Lisa, the Site Owner, has to create a Group.  She, or one of the Admins will be along shortly to give you details, I'm sure.

updated by @ken-hulme: 03/18/20 11:41:09AM
Don B
Don B
@don-b
4 years ago
9 posts

I am new to this site and find navigating it somewhat confusing. I am interested in starting a new group, how do I add a new group?