Kentucky Flood and Dulcimer History

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Ken, thanks for the information.  Even after clicking around a bit on Facebook, I couldn't find a way to adjust settings as you did.  I appreciate your efforts to help me, though!  

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Robin, go to it on Facebook and right click on the video to bring up settings (I think, I don't use Windows) and switch from automatic to one of the lower settings. I used 240 and it worked well.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Good, I'm glad that worked for you..........so far as being computer smarter....I just wish I was smarter in general.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Thanks for the suggestion Salt, but 4 minutes and 20 seconds seems to be the cut-off. I was able to watch the video by going in to settings and changing from the auto setting to 240p. If I were smarter at this computer stuff, it would have dawned on me sooner to do that.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Thanks, @salt-springs yet Facebook is where I've tried to watch it originally and can't proceed beyond about 4:20.  Though please know I appreciate your efforts to help, though. 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

It might work if you try it this way...........go down about a page and a half to the July 30th post.

https://www.facebook.com/AACHindman

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Thanks, Salt. I had not seen the YouTube video before.. I appreciate your sharing it. I still would like to find a way to see the other video. When I see the video of the Artisan Center and think of how many times I've been in the Cody building my heart aches. It is not for the stuff that was lost in the flood, but for the lives disrupted and livelihoods compromised. They were making such wonderful progress with the Road to Recovery through the Luthiere and Troublesome Creek Instruments.

Ken

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Try the youtube link if the first one jams at 4.20

https://www.facebook.com/AACHindman/videos/3247264138892023

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
2 years ago
1,073 posts

Thanks Salt, Ron, and Robin for you comments. I, too, thought of Mike, Doug, and all the other folks I've met in Hindman over the years. I have been ins several floods here in Pennsylvania and involved in the cleanup afterwards, but none have been as devastating as this flooding in eastern Kentucky. Our area Lutheran churches were just getting ready to send some work crews to western Kentucky to help with the rebuilding after the tornadoes. I suspect we will be doing the same as eastern Kentucky cleans up and prepares to rebuild. I usually make donations through Lutheran Disaster Response who coordinates with other religious organizations and government entities in providing relief and rebuilding aid. I will also be making direct donations to the Appalachian Artisan Center and other folks in Hindman.

Like Robin, I have been unable to view the video for which Salt provided a link past about 4:20; just after she gets inside the Troublesome Creek Instruments building. I hope sometime to be able to see the entire video.

Ken

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

@ron-gibson, I've thought of Mike Slone, too.    

I live here in old coal country in southern Perry County OH and since the hills aren't nearly as big as those in SE KY, we do not get walls of water as you describe.  We do, though, see flooding due to many areas not having much/any top soil for good rain in-soak due to mining (some done many decades ago and some done more recently).  My heart is with all touched by the awful flooding. 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

So true Ron...........if you have never seen that sort of thing you can't imagine the speed and power of those things.  Tragic situation all the way around.

updated by @salt-springs: 08/02/22 09:13:52AM
Ron Gibson
Ron Gibson
@ron-gibson
2 years ago
9 posts

I was born in Knott Co. and my sister has a store there and a nephew has a law practice in the "downtown" area. My brother lost a house, although not the one he's living in. 
I see people posting on the Internet versions of "why didn't they leave?"  But if you're not from the hills and have never seen one of these flash floods you have no idea how fast the water can rise. As a kid, we were playing in the creek when some of my family came running out on the porch (our house sat up on the hill) yelling get out of the water. A minute later a huge wall of water came rushing down the creek. 
I've seen this a few times and it literally looks like a damn broke. Those hills are very efficient at funneling the water from miles and miles of land down into the hollers and creeks. 
When I see the devastation of the dulcimer shops there I think of Mike Slone and the last time I talked to him on the sidewalk out front. 

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Yes it's a mess.  If the video would play through for you you would see tons of instruments just plain ruined......warped, glue not holding etc.  Let alone some amazing machinery soaked.......and the dulcimers just soaked........I read they need about $25,000 bucks just to clean up the place................then we have the other side of the coin with people displaced, homes destroyed and folks dead and/or still missing...............prayers, money and lots of work needed.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Thank you for sharing the video, @salt-springs.  For some reason, I have been unable to watch past the 4:20 (or so) mark in the film yet am sure the damage is as awful as I can imagine from other images I have seen.  

I've made donation and am guessing donations will be needed for a very long time.  Just a bit ago, I saw where more heavy rain is forecast for the area already hit by floods.  :(

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

New video inside Troublesome Creek Guitar Factory........worse than you can imagine. Video was posted by the Development director of the Artisan center.

www.facebook.com/AACHindman/videos/3247264138892023

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

Bobby & Dan, so good of you guys to do this.  

Mill Branch Dulcimores
Mill Branch Dulcimores
@mill-branch-dulcimores
2 years ago
22 posts

If it's OK to mention it here, Dulcimore Dan and I are making dulcimores with the proceeds minus shipping costs going to the Artisan Center and Troublesome Creek Guitars. Every little bit will help get them back on their feet.

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

@john-c-knopf I'll always remember coming upon you sitting on the sidewalk in Hindman playing your Uncle Will Singleton dulcimer.  I loved the sound of that thing and you played it wonderfully!  

The devastation in Hindman and surrounding areas is heartbreaking, I imagine, for all of us. 

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
2 years ago
385 posts

This is horrifying news!  Several states are dealing with floods right now.  Hindman, home of the James E. Thomas dulcimer,  has been especially hard-hit.  Troublesome Creek often floods, but not like this.  Doug Naselroad, who runs Troublesome Creek Musical Instruments, the dulcimer museum and the downtown luthier shop has massive flooding problems right now.

Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Thanks for that update on Sarah!!! 

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
2 years ago
1,415 posts

I've seen photos and videos of the horrible flooding in Kentucky, including devastation in Hindman.   My heart is with all whose lives have been uprooted by the torrent.  It was good to see on Facebook that mountain dulcimer friend Sarah Kate Morgan had marked herself as safe-- she is on staff at Hindman.  

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
2 years ago
2,248 posts

Oh no, that is horrible!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Salt Springs
Salt Springs
@salt-springs
2 years ago
207 posts

Tragic news from Kentucky where a flood in Hindman has virtually destroyed the Dulcimer museum and Artisan School.  Loss of life and great sorrow.  Things can be replaced but lives tragically ended............great sorrow there.  News reports say this may be the most devastating flood in Kentucky history. David Bennett has posted photo's on the TTAD site of some of the destruction..........

updated by @salt-springs: 07/31/22 07:00:26AM