Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
400 posts

When I'm at home, I use the Aussie method (as does Helen!)...I lay the dulcimer across the arms of my recliner!

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
Kusani
Kusani
@kusani
8 years ago
134 posts

Here is my alternative to a possum board, I call them 'skunk boards':  They are made them from misc. lumber in my shop.  They each have 4 stick-on non=skid plastic feet on the bottom and 2 feet on the tops.  The top two feet on each are the only contact with the dulcimer.  These skunk boards provide minimum dampening of the sound; they are small and easy to transport and fit under any style of dulcimer.  They are not visible when placed under the dulcimer.  :) 

updated by @kusani: 05/19/16 08:46:05PM
marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

some of the discussions:

Possum Boards revisited

New Possum Board  

Possum Board Question: Pros And Cons  

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

If you do a search on possum board you will find lots of good info on the forum discussions on what they are for and now to make one, as in part of the post below - I hope you don't mind ken my reposting part of your post.

Ken posted:

"Dulcimer on a table - whether 5/8" or 3" thick -- is better than dulcimer on the lap.  The lap is soft and absorbs sound. Tables are hard and reflect sound making the dulcimer louder.  However.  Dulcimer suspended even 1/8" above a "table" gives you even more volume because it frees up the entire back of the instrument so it can vibrate."

LoadedCamera
LoadedCamera
@cbyart
8 years ago
3 posts

Pardon my ignorance... What is a "Possum Board"?  Is that something to help hold it on your lap?

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

The dulcimer hides the painting so it's almost a secret painting but I didn't like it with nothing on it, had to give it it's own personality. I don't really use a possum board but when there was a discussion awhile back, i needed to make myself one. All in learning on our dulcimer journey.

Thanks lexie

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Marge, that is one beautiful possum board.

marg
@marg
8 years ago
616 posts

My possum board, I painted mine

P. board.jpg
P. board.jpg  •  95KB

Gary Major
Gary Major
@gary-major
9 years ago
11 posts

Thanks to everyone for the great tips on making my Dulcimer sound better. I have to still finish my Possum Board and will share later a sone go celebrate my thanks for all of you who help anyone who comes here. Please excuse the video quality. I usually use a better cam.

Again Thanks to you Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer69.gif

updated by @gary-major: 06/11/15 07:43:06AM