Florida Old Time Music Championship

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

Thanx Dusty -- it's playing at 'friendly' open mics every that were my practice for competition. The competition setting was so much less stressful -- people ere actually listening to you rather than getting drunk and talking loud over the music chatting up someone else at their table!

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
9 years ago
1,727 posts

Congratulations, Ken, on placing third. That's an accomplishment unto itself. I would imagine at most of the competitions everyone knows each other, which is why at a lot of them the performances are supposed to be anonymous (not that you can't identify most players by their playing style).

Linda Brockinton told me she used to work for a whole year in preparation for a competition. She would arrange a tune with an introduction, a couple of verses, a few variations on the verses, and then some kind of ending. And she would practice all year to really have everything down. Even if you don't take your preparation to that level, the fact that you are already planning what you're going to play means you will likely be more prepared than you were this year.

My hat's off to you, Ken. I get nervous enough at a friendly open mic. I can't imagine a competition.

And Aaron's advice is best: "have fun and enjoy being there."

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Aaron O'Rourke
Aaron O'Rourke
@aaron-orourke
9 years ago
3 posts

Congrats Ken. It's kind of funny how that contest must have evolved. I did that contest years ago... lost the first year and was told to play real old-time tunes... won the next year doing a couple tunes I learned from Don Pedi. I guess they've gone the other way! Best to just have fun and enjoy being there.

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Hi Randy, I am not saying I don't like hearing old time music played chord style, I listen to it all the time.

I am just really liking noter/ drone to play, love the sound.Smile.gif

I am happy for Ken for competing playing N & D also.

Randy Adams
Randy Adams
@randy-adams
9 years ago
115 posts

Some of the prettiest old time music I've heard is played in the chord melody style. It's legit. Congratulations to all three winners!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Sounds interesting Ken and I am so happy to hear that you will stick to your ol' time N&D and the good ol' songs for next year also.113.gif

I think you did really well in your placement, I am not surprised that competitors playing chord-melody style placed higher, seems to be the craze these days.

Will look forward to hearing the songs you chose for next year and see your results!78.gif

I, like you am sticking to N & D ol' style cause it is SWEET!Grin.gif

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Thanks Ken, those are both great songs.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

Babs - they've got all those categories for the "important" Old Time instruments -- guitar and banjo; at least they have categories for Appalachian and Hammered Dulcimer.

Cynthia -- my tunes were Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes, and the spiritual Trials, Troubles, Tribulations which I learned a number of years ago from Don Pedi.

The competition was pretty laid-back. Like an Open Mike, but outdoors; with better than average sound equipment and an appreciative crowd, not one that's trying to get drunk and talk loud while you play....

Cynthia Wigington
Cynthia Wigington
@cynthia-wigington
9 years ago
74 posts

Congrats. wondered what your two tunes were this year?

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

I've seen your picking video's Lisa -- you could take first place here!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
9 years ago
2,253 posts

Sounds like a good plan Ken. I admire you for being brave enough to enter a competition...I wouldn't have the guts!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,084 posts

Congrats on getting in the top three; especially for a first time try. Now that you know the ropes, you can move ahead.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
9 years ago
2,124 posts

Had a great time today at the Florida Old Time Music Championship up in Dade City. Nice setting at a Pioneer History farm. Beautiful weather. I came in third in the Dulcimer category. Not bad, considering it was my first time competing.

Now I see how things work, and hope to do better next year. I went there with my two Old Time tunes carefully chose, traditional dulcimer, played traditional noter & drone style with a quill plectrum. The first two places went to people who played modern dulcimers, barely old time tunes, in chord-melody style, and just happened to be on a first name basis with all the judges and MC, from previous years of competing.

So next year I'm gonna play and sing Five Pounds of Possum, or Shove That Pig's Foot... and some other tune that I love, and not worry about being "old time".

updated by @ken-hulme: 02/25/19 12:23:09PM