Only in West Virginia?

Sam
Sam
@sam
9 years ago
169 posts

Tish Westman, a member here, has a luthier shop and also teaches dulcimer and psalty at Tamarak near Beckley. She is a wonderful ambassador for the mountain dulcimer (gifted composer, singer and player as well). 

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Tom McDonald
Tom McDonald
@tom-mcdonald
9 years ago
26 posts

I've seen them at the Kentucky Craft Center, just off I-75 in Berea. There were a couple of Warren May instruments, and examples from a couple of other Kentucky builders

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Lexie, She did let me play one. I didn't have a pick and I had just cut my fingernails but I was able to manage Old Joe Clark. I wasn't able to sell it, lol. I did receive a 10% discount coupon to Tamarack. First time I ever received anything for playing (struggling for sure) an instrument. Laugh

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
9 years ago
229 posts

Patty that is cool that they have dulcimers etc. Is that tab books below them?

Did you play them for the lady so she could sell one?music

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
9 years ago
1,083 posts

I remember dulcimers being for sale in a gift shop on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I don't know if that is still the case. That was over 40 years ago.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Frank Ross
Frank Ross
@frank-ross
9 years ago
32 posts

Penn Alps in Grantsville, MD has 2 or 3 hanging in a local mountian craft shop. It in a artisian village with a restaurant. Just off I68 in western Maryland

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Kevin, we did stop at Tamarack. Yes, he had a few there too. The sales lady at the Travel Plaza says a man comes by at least once a week to play the dulcimers. She says when he comes to play them they sell. 

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

Another picture of the Jim Good dulcimers along with Psaltries. There were lots of thumb pianos too.

Kevin Messenger
Kevin Messenger
@kevin-messenger
9 years ago
86 posts

Jim also has them at the Tamarack, near Beckly.

Patty from Virginia
Patty from Virginia
@patty-from-virginia
9 years ago
231 posts

On our trip to West Virginia we stopped at the Travel Plaza off the I64 West Turnpike. What did I see when I went into the gift shop? I saw a couple of Jim Good dulcimers for sale. Is it only in West Virginia that someone can see dulcimers for sale in a travel plaza gift shop? Has anyone seen dulcimers for sale in places other than a music store? 

updated by @patty-from-virginia: 02/03/16 01:06:39AM