Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,429 posts
Smile.gif Paul Certo said:
C A T Spells Popoki. This Hawaiian song also lists dogs, rats, donkeys, monkeys, boys, girls & old men. But the title says Cat, in 2 languages. Does it count twice?
Paul
Paul Certo
Paul Certo
@paul-certo
14 years ago
242 posts
C A T Spells Popoki. This Hawaiian song also lists dogs, rats, donkeys, monkeys, boys, girls & old men. But the title says Cat, in 2 languages. Does it count twice?Paul
Tull Glazener
Tull Glazener
@tull-glazener
14 years ago
1 posts
There's a great old Missouri fiddle tune called "Cat On A Leash". Here's a link to an mp3 file of it: http://home.comcast.net/~wefiddle1/mp3/catonaleash.mp3
Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
14 years ago
2,126 posts
I love the version of Moggie that Sweetwater has on their Sing No Evil funny-songs album.Here's a link to a great article on cats in songs, with some titles we've missed: http://www.best-cat-art.com/songs-about-cats.html
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
I don't remember the music to this one, but I have heard it sung.A cat cam fiddlinOot o a barn,Wi a pair o bagpipesUnder her arm.She cud sing naething but'Fiddle cum fee,The moose has mairritThe bumble bee.'Pipe cat,Dance moose,We'll hae a waddinAt oor guid hoose.
razyn
@razyn
14 years ago
40 posts
I was hoping somebody (else) would remember the poignant "Nobody's Moggy;" and that has come to pass. But since Flint Hill only posted the sheet music, here's the audio of a performance by its Down Under creators. A very sad tale.
"The Intoxicated Rat," often credited to Doc Watson and nearly as often to Cisco Houston, is I believe by Dorsey Dixon, of The Dixon Brothers. May be mistaken about that; anyway, I'm sure it was recorded before Watson came along. The plot has to do with a rodent who gets drunk -- and belligerent about cats, until one actually shows up -- at which time he quickly gets sober."Pinkle Purr" by A.A. Milne has latterly been set to music at least a couple of times, but I don't know if the music is good. The poem is.
Flint Hill
Flint Hill
@flint-hill
14 years ago
62 posts

The sad civil war cat song Poor Kitty Popcorn by Henry Clay Work.The old-school and politically incorrect Dead Cats on the Line , sung here by Vassar Clements.Rosalie Sorrels does cat songs: "Mehitabel's Theme" and "Always a Lady". Oscar Brand did a whole album about cats.And who could forget Eric Bogle's He's Nobody's Moggy Now ? (Even if you'd like to forget it.)Mean Black Cat by Robert Lee McCoy, ca 1937.Not to be missed is Riley Puckett's wonderful, deadpan version of The Cat Came Back .A personal favorite is Ralph Stanley's The Kitten and the Cat . The link goes to iTunes. Scroll down and click the link to hear a sample.

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts

Does it have to be published? I have a little song that I sing to Tigger to lull him to sleep.

He's a Tigger, he's a Tigger, he's our little Tigger boyHe's a Tigger, he's a Tigger, He's our pride and our joy.I love my Tigger, love my Tigger, I love my little Tigger catI love my Tigger, love my Tigger, though sometimes he's a brat!Several other verse along this line, sung to the tune of Oh My Darling Clementine. Tigger has been known to fall asleep in my arms while being sung to.

Phil Myers
Phil Myers
@phil-myers
14 years ago
28 posts
Here's my version of "The Old Black Cat Couldn't Catch a Rat". It was, however, played on a "dog dulcimer" so you might hear some barking in the background.
Paul Rappell
Paul Rappell
@paul-rappell
14 years ago
31 posts
I nearly went catatonic trying to think of a cat song - what a catastrophe!If lions count, then Bruce Cockburn's "Wondering Where the Lions Are" is one.If you want a "shared" song, Henry Thomas (by John Sebastian, recorded on Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful) has the line "Dig the dog the cat dragged in"!That song from Lady and the Tramp went: "We are Siamese if you please. We are Siamese if you don't please. We are former residents of Siam, and there is no finer cat than I am." I disagree. Our two, Schrodinger (named after a nuclear physicist) and Shelby (a.k.a. Schlubby), would say that grey polydactils are best.
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
Rag time!!!!!The Pussy Cat RagThe Black Cat Rag
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
14 years ago
1,429 posts
This is waaay harder than dog songs & tunes! I guess people just get sappier about dogs. :)With all the lonesome turtledoves flying from pine to pine, can you believe a cat never figured into that equation? There's a bunch of songs right there. :) And I can't believe there aren't a million songs that have cats and mice figuring into them some way. After all, how many cats have saved farmers from having all their grain looted by evil mice??? Someone should right this wrong and give cats their due! :)Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" comes to mind. Though "Gray Cat on a Tennessee Farm" is the only cat tune I play on dulcimer, I'd be happy to learn more tunes that feature felines. :)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,255 posts
There's a fiddle tune played by esteemed fiddler Edden (or "Edn") Hammons of West Virginia, found on the Edden Hammons Collection: http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/hammons2.htm it has the rather indelicate title of "Old Black Cat S**t in the Shavings"....the title always make me laugh. =8-o LOL

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Bucko Futreal
Bucko Futreal
@bucko-futreal
14 years ago
8 posts
I've never tried it, but I bet "And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps" by Jethro Tull could be arranged for dulcimer...
Lil Plumer
Lil Plumer
@lil-plumer
14 years ago
2 posts
Thought of a couple more Old Black Cat Couldn't Catch a Rat (Don Pedi recorded it). Does "The Lion Sleeps tonight" count as a cat song? :-)
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,255 posts
And then there's "How Much is that Kitty in the Window?"Oh, wait a minute...maybe not..... :(

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,255 posts
There's an old fiddle tune that Buddy Thomas played called "Kitty Puss". You can click on it here to hear a bit of it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010VJ1E4/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk11 My husband Brian plays it on fiddle and let me tell you it is REALLY HARD to play banjo to! It keeps modulating between different keys and uses some weird minor notes too. Yikes!I can do it, but what kills me is when Brian picks it as the very first tune we do in a gig when I haven't even warmed up yet. =8-o I always get mad when he does that. LOL

--
Site Owner

folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
The Cat Came Back!!!!!!!!!!!And that old favorite, Pussy Cat Pussy Cat Where Have You Been?
folkfan
@folkfan
14 years ago
357 posts
The Cat Came Back!!!!!!!!!!!
Lil Plumer
Lil Plumer
@lil-plumer
14 years ago
2 posts
Gray Cat on a Tennessee Farm, Sadie at the Back Door
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
14 years ago
2,255 posts
Ok, so Robin made a thread of songs that have dogs in them.

It might not have as many, but....
I demand equal time for CAT songs and tunes!!! LOL

Anyone know some cat tunes?.... :)

--
Site Owner

updated by @strumelia: 07/31/23 09:18:10PM