A Pick-Holding Hand Question.

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

John's got a good point.  I hold the pick between thumb and middle finger, not the index.  I dunno why; but it works.  Robert Force taught me his thumb-and-two grip, and I migrated from that to thumb-and-middle somehow.

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Thanks Rob. I love my big ol' Fender pick when I play on the Gallier.

Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
422 posts

Robert Force, in one of his Youtube videos, shows his  way of holding a large pick with the thumb and 2 fingers.  I've tried it a little and it seems to work.  I'll try to find in which video it's in.

John Gribble
John Gribble
@john-gribble
8 years ago
124 posts

Not everyone holds the pick against the index finger or "between the fingerprint and thumbprint." If after the procedure and the healing your old way doesn't work, be open to alternatives in the way you hold the pick.

marg
@marg
8 years ago
615 posts

Post has some nice help, good luck finding your new way to strum and with your finger joint.

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
8 years ago
399 posts

Gin Onan had a pick holder specially designed for her since she couldn't hold one any more  with her MS issues.  Other folks have, too.  You might just find a different way to hold the pick...for instance, with your fingers making a fist, and the pick held firmly between 2 of your fingers.  You might need to try picks of different shape, size, and thickness....and you might want to experiment with ones you cut out from margarine tubs, for example.

I've had several injuries to my hands and right now I'm mostly fingerpicking with my thumb lying alongside the fretboard and my 4 fingers doing all the work.  I used to use my thumb, index, and pinkie to fingerpick so that's been a big change in the past year. 

Don't worry what it looks like, just do whatever works for you. yes

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

Hahahahaha! 

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,111 posts

Just have the Doc do a Pick Implant -- get that pick permanently mounted.  You'll never lose another pick down a soundhole!

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
8 years ago
139 posts

One year in and my fingers are chording, dancing, flying all over the fretboard and my joy is complete! 

However, there is one caveat.

I have some arthritis in my right index finger, first joint and the finger joint is swollen, painful and is beginning to turn out and a nerve-rubbing bone spur in my thumb knuckle. frowner

Just got a 2nd opinion today from an older very wise ortho doc and he thinks fusing that first joint could stop any more disfiguring and, he can also get rid of the bone spur on my thumb. There would be 4-6 weeks of resting for my pick holding finger.  no

Have any of you dear people ever had a finger joint fused? As it is, I think I could get used to typing and playing. I just wanted to know how you fared.

Thoughts?