Saw This Old Dulcimer ...

Bob
Bob
@bob
8 years ago
86 posts

That's cool Sam! I wouldn't be surprised if his dulcimer comes down from that wall and becomes a well-prized musical instrument, as it was born to be jive

(BTW, what net site do you have?)

updated by @bob: 12/18/16 11:49:08AM
Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Bob, I did tell him about this site and how it's grown and that it is the friendliest site on the net (besides mine :) ). He sounded very interested. I was telling him about Strumelia's wonderful tutorials, which actually gave me my start at playing, and it sounded like he still has an interest in learning. I'm hoping to meet Jim and his son soon.

--
The Dulcimer. If you want to preserve it, jam it!
Bob
Bob
@bob
8 years ago
86 posts

It's great that you're dedicated to this 'investigation'. a veritable history sleuth thumbsup   I wonder if the owner knows how interested people are of the 'decoration' hanging on his wall!!

Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Thanks Sam, it will be fun to hear from these two men about the instruments. Great that you are sharing this story with us.

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

I'm also thinking that with better photos, someone here might have some input.

--
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

Thanks for sharing this fascinating adventure with us Sam!

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,090 posts

Sounds like a good deal; dinner and researching an interesting dulcimer. Looking forward to what you find out about this dulcimer.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Welp ... just got off the phone with Jim. He's the gentleman that purchased the dulcimer I saw in the restaurant. Jim doesn't have any info other than he purchased the instrument in North Carolina some years back. He actually bought two with plans of taking lessons being offered near his home at the time in North Carolina. He didn't take the lessons and hasn't pursued the dulcimer. He thinks the one I saw may have been made in the 70's but isn't sure. He does not know who built it or where for sure. I asked if he'd looked inside through the sound holes, he has not but will and agreed to let me know if he finds a builder label in either of the instruments. 

The owner of the restaurant will gladly let me look closer at the one there and photograph it as long as he is present. His father owns them both and lives next door. If the father is home, I will be able to look at the second dulcimer as well. I think it will be well worth the price of a GREAT dinner to get a chance to look at the instruments, so, that's my plan, to call ahead and get a time that both men can be present and that I can see and photograph both dulcimers. 

--
Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Sorry all, spent the day at the old place at Brooks yesterday, very poor cell signal so I didn't even try to call the number I was given. I'm at the house in town today to attend grandson's Christmas program, I'll try to call today and see if I can learn any more. 

--
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

We are Excited!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

The plot thickens!  nerd2

--
Site Owner

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

I've heard back from the owner of the restaurant and the dulcimer. He has another next door at the inn he operates. I haven't seen it. He didn't have much info but told me that his dad might have more. His dad is the purchaser of one of the dulcimers, I'm not sure which. The owner very graciously gave me his dad's name and number. I'll try to call him today and see if he has any further details about the dulcimer or it's builder. Here's part of the owners message back to me.

"We have 2 one was build in Boone North Carollina 30+ years ago the other is local but I don't have any info on it. My dad may he was teh one who bought it". 

--
Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Thanks Robin, I got a message off to the restaurant owner. Hopefully I'll get a reply and go from there. 

--
Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
8 years ago
1,429 posts

Happy anniversary, Sam!

Hope you are able to learn more about the instrument!

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Want to thank everyone sooooo much for the input and info. I love old handcrafted dulcimers and I don't get to see that many right in my own back door, so to speak. I'm going to try to arrange a visit to the restaurant when the manager is there. 

--
Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Bob:

Very cool. It sure does look old. It has a lovely shape to it, and the top end of the box is very interesting... not like most I have ever seen. The heart cut-outs are so lovely and scream "folk art".  Hopefuly you can get more info on it! Love to see more details (particularly the peg box!).

Thanks for sharing this. (What State are you in?)

Bob I did try to get a more detail shot of the tuning head. It was dark up in that corner and if I used flash that close it just burned it out. Still hoping to get more details and more photos. Thanks for your response.

I'm in Southern WV. The restaurant is near Pipestem State Park. 

--
IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

thanks Ken on the naming of the "weeping hearts".  cool.  These are on a book that I got years ago on Dulcimers.  aloha, irene

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
8 years ago
167 posts

the bottom hearts look very much like a dulcimer that I got at an antique store in S.L.C. for $40.00 and fixed it up and put banjo tuning machines on it.  It was his first one.  I've got that on loan and I'll see her tomorrow and see who it's made by.  I also got another one at the same place for same price, it was the maker's #4......it's not as good as the first one.  Finding old dulcimers is soooooooooooooo fun!!  aloha, irene

Ken Hulme
Ken Hulme
@ken-hulme
8 years ago
2,126 posts

The soundholes are called "weeping hearts".  I made a few dulcimers with those holes...

John C. Knopf
John C. Knopf
@john-c-knopf
8 years ago
389 posts

It's cool, and it looks pretty old, but using the guitar-style frets is a relatively modern twist.  Looks like a few frets are missing from their slots.  

Maybe the restaurant manager will let you carefully remove it to try it out?  They probably stuck it to the wall with screws driven through the soundholes.  

That's how an old John Maxwell dulcimer was attached to the wall of a T.G.I.Friday's, before they tore it off and sold the wrecked dulcimer on eBay.  I won it, and carefully reglued the splinters back together.  I should think somebody would have had the sense to look for screws attaching it to the wall...

Bob
Bob
@bob
8 years ago
86 posts

Very cool. It sure does look old. It has a lovely shape to it, and the top end of the box is very interesting... not like most I have ever seen. The heart cut-outs are so lovely and scream "folk art".  Hopefuly you can get more info on it! Love to see more details (particularly the peg box!).

Thanks for sharing this. (What State are you in?)

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Thanks Strumelia and Lexi. It'd be great if I could get it off the wall for better photos to post here.

--
Lexie R Oakley
Lexie R Oakley
@lexie-r-oakley
8 years ago
229 posts

Happy Anniversary Sam. Wow that is an interesting dulcimer. I hope you connect with the manager and let us know what you find out. 

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
8 years ago
2,255 posts

That is just wonderful, Sam!  Good luck with your connection with the restaurant manager.  crossfingers

--
Site Owner

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Yes, Ken. Especially if it was locally built. 

--
Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
8 years ago
1,090 posts

Interesting discovery, Sam. It would be good to know more about it.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

Rob, it shows a good bit of age. I'd love to get a little more of this instruments history. I plan to contact the restaurant owner. 

--
Rob N Lackey
Rob N Lackey
@rob-n-lackey
8 years ago
420 posts

I agree Sam; I'd love to hear her sing.

Sam
Sam
@sam
8 years ago
169 posts

... yesterday evening hanging on the wall in a restaurant. Oldest son and his fiancee took us out to dinner for our 40th wedding anniversary and this was on the wall over our booth. The dulcimer is a 4 string and appears to have a pretty long VSL. I would LOVE to get it off the wall and look at it. The manager wasn't there so I didn't even ask our waitress. 

The wood looks like oak, but it was pretty dark in the place and I couldn't get as close as I wanted. I did see some cracks in the top, I think, could have been grain in the wood. This dulcimer appears to be hand crafted and very well made. It has a carved 'fiddle head' tuning head with carved friction tuners. The sound holes seem huge to me. I'd love to hear this grand lady hum!

img

--

updated by @sam: 10/27/19 12:02:25PM