New Airlines' Rules Affect Those Traveling with Instruments

Jill Geary
Jill Geary
@jill-geary
7 years ago
28 posts

Thanks, Jan. I knew the different airlines were talking about these changes but haven't flown lately.... Good to know. There are also new regulations (Federal? International?) regarding traveling between countries with rosewood (endangered). I had a luthier tell me to have a receipt with me for any instrument that I travel with, out of the country, that has rosewood or its cousins (fingerboard, bridge, etc). - the receipt proves I purchased it within the United States and I did not buy the instrument 'out of the country' and then am bringing it into the U.S. illegally (without paying the penalties). Sorry I don't have all the details on hand at the moment...but something to look into if you're going out of the country.

IRENE
IRENE
@irene
7 years ago
167 posts

WOAH, this was some hard news.   I FINALLY have one of my 14 kids that works for the airlines.....and I'm going next month down to Palistine, Texas in March for the music festival there with my banjo playing brother....he lives only 1/2 hour away and I'm soooooooooo excited.  I'm going to be taking my new TMB.  I can see that I better check that...BUT.....I'll be on standby.  ooooooooooops, I wish I had a better car, I'd drive there.   A few  years back I took some flights to Hawaii and it was cheaper to send my things in the USA mail then to check 'em at the airport.   When I had little kids and wanted to show them off to my parents in the Mainland, I used to fly United for free while DHL would attach 10 huge bundles of stuffs to my ticket.   ahhhhhh days of old have all passed away where customers were treated kindly and all hoped to "see you again".  I've taken harps, banjos, ukuleles, dulcimers autoharps....all just getting on and mostly with a happy smile.  All to and from Hawaii when I raised our big family there.  aloha, irene

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
7 years ago
1,729 posts

Thanks for the warning, Jan.   I guess we're going to have to be careful to assure the ability to board early.  

I travel Southwest a lot for work and have priority boarding for at least another year.  Southwest has open seating but gives people a boarding number.  I am usually between 25 and 30.  I would encourage everyone to try to stick to a single airline and join their mileage plan.  They just seem to treat you better when they think of you as a repeat customer instead of someone they'll never see again.

And it might not help specifically with getting an instrument in the overhead bin, but if you fly more than a couple of times a year it might be worth it to get a known traveler number from the TSA.  It costs $85 for five years, but you get to go through the TSA pre-check lines and don't have to take off your shoes or your jacket or take out your laptop or your shampoo or any of that stuff.  You fly (hee hee) through an alternate security line and get right to the gate. I also think the airline personnel treat you better when they see that TSA pre-check indication on your boarding pass.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
7 years ago
143 posts

I think I'll hitch-hike yes ...but, seriously, I stopped using flying as a means of transportation about 20 years ago due to overcrowding, restrictions, and general discomfort. And things haven't changed much with the airlines except now there  is (are)  MORE overcrowding, restrictions, and general discomfort!

Steven

Ben Barr Jr
Ben Barr Jr
@benjamin-w-barr-jr
7 years ago
64 posts

Eye opening for sure.  I think that with the increased security check-ins and all the red tape that goes with that has been cause for my preference to travel by car to my destination.  

D. chitwood
D. chitwood
@d-chitwood
7 years ago
139 posts

dohh This is terrible!!!! Thank you SO MUCH for letting me know!

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
400 posts

The main thing is to know what you're getting for the price you're paying.  But I can imagine people getting "caught" at the gate not realizing what this means for their "stuff"--including instruments.  I generally get the lowest price ticket that's going where I want to go, but now I'm going to be extra careful not to caught in one of these messes.

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke
marg
@marg
7 years ago
616 posts

This terrible   ;-(

Jan Potts
Jan Potts
@jan-potts
7 years ago
400 posts

New Economy Fares Do Not Provide the Use of Overhead Bins!  Some of you may have missed changes made by several airlines this winter for their lowest fare classes.  With Delta, you'll board last and may find there's no room for your instrument.  But with both American and United, you'll need to read up and see how purchase of a low economy fare ticket will impact your carry on decisions.  With American Airlines, you can buy an online ticket, but you can't select a seat or do an advance check in.  You have to check in when you arrive at the airport and you will be instructed to check ALL your luggage , since the economy fare does not provide for use of the overhead bins ; you may only carry on a small purse or jacket that fits under the seat in front of you.  If you take a carryon bag (or an instrument or a bag of gifts from one of the airport shops) to the Gate, you will be required to gate check (valet check) your items at a cost of $25 for each, plus a $25 penalty for each.  Since the people who paid this Economy fare board LAST, they will see upon boarding that ALL THE OVERHEAD BINS WILL BE LATCHED SHUT BEFORE THEY BOARD THE PLANE...so don't look for help from sympathetic passengers!  Since the rules changed awhile back and allowed instruments to be carried on board-- if there is room in the overhead bin when you board the plane--some musicians will no doubt buy one of these NEW Low Economy fares and not realize this now means they cannot bring their instrument on board.  Please do not overlook the implications of traveling with an instrument if you buy the new low fares.  Check with your airline or Read more here:  http://www.businessinsider.com/american-airlines-united-basic-economy-carry-on-bag-ban-2017-1

--
Jan Potts, Lexington, KY
Site Moderator

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." Henry Van Dyke