Ebony versus Micarta Fretboard on McSpadden Dulcimer

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,090 posts

I have a Martin guitar with a Richlite fretboard. I think it is a little faster than the ebony fretboard I have on my other Martin. Taylor is involved with planting ebony trees. They have their own plantation of ebony and (I think) subcontract the harvesting and processing of the ebony.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Bill S
Bill S
@bill-s
5 years ago
9 posts

Richlite is the new material being used to replace micarta.  Martin uses it on most of their guitars as it looks and feels like ebony and is very affordable.

Mill Branch Dulcimores
Mill Branch Dulcimores
@mill-branch-dulcimores
5 years ago
22 posts
I wouldn't want it on one of my dulcimores, but I have been thinking about making some blue jean micarta for the fretboard of a mandolin I'm slowly getting finished.
Susie
Susie
@susie
5 years ago
500 posts

I have had a McSpadden with an ebony fretboard and one with a micarta fretboard. I noticed no difference in the two for how they played. Ebony is more expensive.....micarta is a real nice less-expensive alternative. Micarta is all black, whereas ebony can sometimes have some cool looking streaks in it.

updated by @susie: 07/13/19 05:50:43PM
Steven Berger
Steven Berger
@steven-berger
5 years ago
143 posts

I have no idea about the cost of these materials (I suspect less expensive than ebony...I could be wrong, but I think not) However, my big quibble about the use of such materials (if less expensive) is the price of the instruments using them has not seemed to come down any (and, yes, I'm well aware of the other costs involved in building instruments).

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
5 years ago
1,090 posts

Micarta has been around for a long time. It was developed by George Westinghouse around 1910. You see it used in knife handles because it comes in a great variety of colors and textures. Micarta has been used to make dulcimer nuts and bridges for years. As natural materials become scarce, I think we need to open ourselves to using other materials for instrument making. I was skeptical of doing this for a long time until I purchased a Martin guitar made of HPL (high pressure laminates). That turned me in to a believer. I would not hesitate to use Micarta for a fret board.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
5 years ago
54 posts

Thanks, I do like the Micarta. Even Jim Woods of McSpadden told me that if he were building a dulcimer for himself now, he would go with Micarta. I know Ebony is rare now to get so I didn’t know if I should have it this time around. However, I live in a high humidity area. I have only been playing 3 months. Right from the get go, not only was it smooth, I found myself being able to look away from the fretboard from time to time while flatpicking. Slow, flatpicking, of course, tee hee.

Dan
Dan
@dan
5 years ago
185 posts

You are right @dusty-turtle, it will catch on and you will be able to order any color you want. I suspect any more than an overlay would start inherent problems with tonal qualities, but less is more! IMHO

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
5 years ago
1,729 posts

Given that true African ebony is basically impossible to obtain legally these days, more and more luthiers are looking for alternatives such as rosewood or synthetic versions such as Micarta.  If Micarta is good enough for a Martin Guitars, it's probably good enough for me.  

Basically, you want the fretboard to be really hard and really smooth.  I've read reviews that praise Micarta for both of those reasons.  According to Martin, Micarta plays faster than Ebony and will never warp.  Some people claim that it doesn't feel like genuine wood, that it feels like plastic, but that has not been my experience, and I suspect that the objection to Micarta comes from those who believe for philosophical reasons that fine instruments should just be made of wood with no synthetics anywhere.

How does the Micarta feel to you?  If you like it, then stick with it.

Micarta is basically colored to look like black ebony.  But I wonder if the stigma against it recedes, will they start making it in different colors?  How 'bout a hot pink fingerboard?

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 07/13/19 02:40:11AM
Silverstrings
Silverstrings
@silverstrings
5 years ago
54 posts

I have a Micarta Fretboard on my McSpadden Dulcimer and love it. I am thinking about getting another McSpadden made with some additions and different woods. I was wondering about any experiences of other regarding Micarta versus Ebony for a fretboard in sound, durability and feel. Thanks

updated by @silverstrings: 07/13/19 07:38:03AM