Blue Lion Dulcimers why so Special?

Catwheezle
Catwheezle
@catwheezle
3 years ago
1 posts

star2fire:

Thank you to all the beautiful people who have post kind welcome messages. I have been trying to answer with a comment but I’m struggling to figure out how to use this site. I guess it’s gonna take me awhile to figure out how this works.

me too!

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
2,252 posts

Starfire, if you are talking about comments left on your profile page, then there should be a link under their comment that says "comment back", which takes you to their profile page- you can then leave them a responding comment on their profile page in their comment wall section.   :)
Anytime you click on someone's namelink here, it will take you to their personal page.

If you have other questions about how to use the site, you may find answers HERE (look through the threads of commonly asked questions) or start a new thread to ask a new question there about how to use the site.  :)

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990

updated by @strumelia: 01/04/21 07:21:23PM
star2fire
@star2fire
3 years ago
2 posts

Thank you to all the beautiful people who have post kind welcome messages. I have been trying to answer with a comment but I’m struggling to figure out how to use this site. I guess it’s gonna take me awhile to figure out how this works.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
3 years ago
1,081 posts

That's really nice inlay on that Blue Lion. Enjoy.

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song." (and I'm sure this one will)

Robin Thompson
Robin Thompson
@robin-thompson
3 years ago
1,421 posts

Wow, @sgarrity!  You're in for a treat.  In addition to being beautiful, your Blue Lion will be smooth to play and will, I imagine, will sound as great as it looks.

sgarrity
@sgarrity
3 years ago
4 posts

I’ll know sometime this week..... ;-)

star2fire
@star2fire
4 years ago
2 posts

I love my Blue Lion. After sitting in the back of the hall closet for over 20 years, it’s still in tune! The highest quality of any dulcimer I ever owned.

Ken Longfield
Ken Longfield
@ken-longfield
4 years ago
1,081 posts

Janita does a great job of working with inlay.  Robert does a great job of building. My Blue Lion has a shorter VSL than any of my other dulcimers which makes it great for chording. The craftsmanship is excellent. They use the best woods in building their instruments. 

Ken

"The dulcimer sings a sweet song."

Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

I have seen the inlay, which is lovely. 

Dusty Turtle
Dusty Turtle
@dusty
4 years ago
1,724 posts

@Nathina, nowadays there are several really high-end dulcimer luthiers to choose from.  Such was not the case in the late 70s when Blue Lion started using fancier woods and guitar designs to build dulcimers that were louder and much more mellow-sounding than traditional dulcimers.  They simply sound really big and warm and are especially nice for fingerpicking.  Janita (half of the couple that makes them) also does phenomenal inlay work, so the dulcimers look as good as they sound.  And they are especially know for their baritone and bass models, as well as a model for jam players that uses the body of the baritone but is strung as a standard, so it has extra volume. 

I have one of the basic models that I bought years ago, and although it is no longer my main dulcimer (no 1+ fret, no ebony overlay, no pickup, etc.) I still use, especially for fingerpicking.  Other people who specialize in fingerpicking (like Nina Zanetti) also play Blue Lion dulcimers.  Janita is also a very innovative player.  She plays with four equidistant strings but tunes one of the middle strings a half note off the other (I can't remember if it's sharp or flat).  That way she can play all the chromatic notes, and does some great fingerpicking, even doing jazzy-sounding pieces that other dulcimer players could never pull off.

--
Dusty T., Northern California
Site Moderator

As a musician, you have to keep one foot back in the past and one foot forward into the future.
-- Dizzy Gillespie

updated by @dusty: 11/18/20 07:18:20PM
Nathina
Nathina
@nathina
4 years ago
188 posts

What makes Blue Lion so much different than the other great luthiers?